Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing During High Pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing During High Pressure?

Do crappie bite better with the pressure high or low? Texas is gonna have a high barometric pressure front coming in on Tuesday and was wondering if it gets over 30 is that a good time to go. Any thoughts?

Also it is supposed to be a new moon on the 23rd and fishing is always good three days before and after the new moon so I am stocked to about that too. I read that the majority of trophy sized fish have been caught three days before and after the full moon and the same for the new moon.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

KB:

I am not a fish biologist by any means, but it's my understanding the fish air bladder is compressed during high pressure systems so they don't feel the discomfort of an expanded air bladder.
    This may lead to the fish being more agreeagle and willing to feed more readily.
    Can't wait to hear the opinions of our C.C experts; got pencil and paper ready :-)
    Crappie Hunter

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in NW PA, i've found that when we have high pressure, the deeper i fish, the less the fish are affected by it. They will be very close to structure too. A lot of the time i have to bump the wood with my jig to get their attention.
    Likes Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What chaunc said. Fish can release gasses into their air bladder to help them adjust to unvavorable conditions. When the BP is high, they feel this pressure in their bladders, and they move to deeper water where the pressure is more constant. Once they get to the deeper water, they release the gas, which inflates their air bladder and counters the pressure. Ever had a livewell full of upside down fish after pulling them up from 30ft? This is due to an inflated bladder. This also makes them lethargic and they will have a tendency to hold tight to cover.

Sooo, to answer your question, I have found that deeper lakes tend to be less affected by high BP, 30.2 and above, than shallower ones because they can go deep and make the necessary adjustments needed to be comfortable and keep feeding.

I'd say a reading of 29.85-30.1 is normal, slightly rising or falling is even better. Any higher or lower is unfavorable, but you can still do well if you know how to adjust.
    This is just my opinion. Dont let the conditions keep you from trying. The hard days will teach you as much as the easy ones!! Good luck!!
    Last edited by Cmj; 10-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes chucktx, rr4611 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well put CMJ. I agree

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Well said and understood. I will be looking for them deep it looks like next week. I will let you know how it goes.
    USAF Retired and fishing!