Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: weights

Post Thanks / Like

Default weights

some people using large weights to tight line , so they can move faster.
    how about some input on the effect weights have on crappie fishing. do large weights scare fish, do size of weights have an effect on fish ? how about some input on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like

just last summer we started using heavier weights and i think it has really helped us, especially on windy days or when we fish in water with current. the lake we fish on is very stained so that is probably to our advantage, it might hurt you on a clearer lake. we also put the weights farther from the hook than we did before.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Heavy

I believe the weights are very effective, in the past I would mostly use around one and a half ounce weights, but I have used up to 3 ounces of lead below very small (1/80th ounce) jigs and caught crappie 30' deep.

I have invested lots of time "doing research" :D over the last couple of years, instead of using heavy weights, I have had very good results by moving to larger and heavier jig heads. I use tandem jigs between 1/8 ounce up to 5/8 ounce, usually you will find me using two 1/2 ounce jigs.

In the attached picture, all but the jig on the bottom right hand side are 1/2 ounce. (It is 5/8 ounce) The style I use most now is the one on the top right hand side.

The link below shows my favorite colors of these minnow shaped heads.
    (All are 1/2 ounce size in picture)
    http://crappiemagic.com/colors

Weights and bigger jigs both work very well, try some experimenting and find what works best for you.

Good luck with your fishing!

Mike Simpson
    "Remember to take only what you need, leave the rest for seed"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation weight size is relative to "use" (technique) ...

heavier weights allow you to fish deeper faster, fish in current, drift under control, and cast farther .... lighter weights allow you to fish slower, keep bait in "zone" longer, catch some of the "finicky" fish, and target multiple species while Crappie fishing. It's just a tool ... it has a particular time and place.
    I don't think a larger sinker on the line above a hook makes much difference to a Crappie ... they don't seem to really be able to "understand" what it is - so as long as you don't "threaten" them with it, they pay it little attention. I use a Gremlin #4 pinch-on sinker when deadlining/stationary ... I may even put two of them on, if I deadline/drift. If I do put two on, I move them up the line a few more inches.
    I've seen people catch Crappie on jigs of various weights - 1/64oz to 1/4oz ... it's the nature of the fish to "suck in" a meal while it is suspended in the water column - and they are used to the "meal" being nearly weightless. When they grab a heavy jig, generally you have to be quick in setting the hook ... before they reject the offering and spit it out.
    Using the proper weight in the proper setting, or with the proper technique/method is an important issue .... good discussion!!.........cp