Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Daiwa Laguna Baitcaster

Post Thanks / Like

Default Daiwa Laguna Baitcaster

Need some insight - bought this Daiwa Laguna 6.3 reel yesterday because I found an excellent price on it ($30 shipped), regardless of the answer to my question. However, I cannot find specs anywhere that mention what material the gears are made from - Hoping they're brass. Anybody with any insight to offer please help! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

for that price its a good deal for sure !!! here is what I found on them !!!!
    hope this helps !!!!

The exclusive American model - the Daiwa Laguna Casting Reel features a large open profile for optimum ergonomics and handling. Its rugged composite frame and side plates also keep it light yet strong, and its 6 bearing system (5BB+1RB) ensures fluid casts and retrieves, as well as, rock solid hooksets.
    A drilled spool helps limit weight even further, and its rugged 6-Point Support System ensures all moving parts stay in perfect alignment. Definitely a solid performer for a great price, the Daiwa Laguna Casting Reel also has the added benefit of Daiwa's Magforce Anti-Backlash System, which lets the spool start faster and spin longer for the ultimate in cast control.

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Strmwalker. I found several sites offering the unit for sale with similar descriptions to what you've listed; I just couldn't find any detailing the gear materials. I figure that probably means they aren't made from brass, or it would be mentioned. At the price though, I couldn't resist. I am trying to get set up for some trolling/spider rigging this fall and wanted the best baitcasters I could find without spending a ton of money. 6 Bearings from a highly respected reel manufacturer was hard to pass up @ $30, brass gears or not.

(Patting myself on the back a bit, I also got a deal on my rods - found Wally Marshall/Mr Crappie Graphite 10' Slab Shakers for $20 each) - balling on a budget is tough! HaHa.)

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimPierce View Post
    Thanks, Strmwalker. I found several sites offering the unit for sale with similar descriptions to what you've listed; I just couldn't find any detailing the gear materials. I figure that probably means they aren't made from brass, or it would be mentioned. At the price though, I couldn't resist. I am trying to get set up for some trolling/spider rigging this fall and wanted the best baitcasters I could find without spending a ton of money. 6 Bearings from a highly respected reel manufacturer was hard to pass up @ $30, brass gears or not.

(Patting myself on the back a bit, I also got a deal on my rods - found Wally Marshall/Mr Crappie Graphite 10' Slab Shakers for $20 each) - balling on a budget is tough! HaHa
    .)
    well at those prices you did good for sure !!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

I've also used the instructions from a post by FlounderNY and made myself a 5-gallon bucket rod holder to get started with. If you haven't seen it, search 'economical spider rigging' and check out his video- pretty inventive, I thought. If I catch the bug for spider rigging I guess I'll be buying rod holders next...

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

NEW-SHAKESPEARE-AXIOM-AX2LP-Casting-Baitcast-B-0083-10-02-Fishing-Reel-6-3-1

I have 6 of these that I troll cranks and spider rig with. Good reels for the money though not up to the quality of the Diawa. I have 2 of the Diawa Capricorn spinning reels and their quality is second to none, even better than my Phleuger President. Enjoy the new reel.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimPierce View Post
    Need some insight - bought this Daiwa Laguna 6.3 reel yesterday because I found an excellent price on it ($30 shipped), regardless of the answer to my question. However, I cannot find specs anywhere that mention what material the gears are made from - Hoping they're brass. Anybody with any insight to offer please help! Thanks.
    I've been using the Lagunas for about 4 years now and they have never missed a beat. I don't cast with them, I only slow troll.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll that's encouraging. Trolling is all I plan to use them for too. (I bought 4) I figured even w/out brass gears (if that's the case) just trolling with them they should last a long time...thanks to all for the info.