PDA

View Full Version : I envy you crappie.com folks.

lol11
10-14-2014, 01:54 AM
I know most of you on this forum are from the Mid West to Eastern states. I live in North California and before you tell me to, I have already posted an invitation on the California forum. If you check the CA forum, youíll see that it has been quiet for a while. Iím nearing my forty and have fished crappie most my life in Nor Cal. Iíve had the opportunity to spend a few summers in the Midwest chasing crappies and had a fun time doing so. While out there, every crappie angler we bumped into has been very kind and nice. There are the usual grumpy old men who thinkís the hole belongs to him but thatís everywhere. As a matter of fact, my wife believes Iíll become one of those grumpy old men. Please do not be offended, as this is just my opinion of my personal experiences in California. California does not seem to have dedicated crappie anglers. The majority of fishermen here are what I call, ďgold rush fishermanĒ. They chase after whatever the rumor or season is. However, there is a lot of dedicated bass and trout fisherman, but thatís pretty common in all the states. In the past four months, I have crappie fished in four different popular crappie lakes and was the ONLY boat fishing crappie. Donít get me wrong, I enjoy the quietness, but this tells me there are no other solid crappie anglers. Last week, I had a bass guy asked me what I was fishing for because I was parked in the middle of the lake jigging and he had never seen that. I told him crappie and he was shocked! He even laughed a little and gave me a cocky ďare you sure there are crappiesĒ. He never even knew we had big crappies in NorCal. I showed him a few of my 13 inchers in the live well and he went on his way. I later saw him jigging in a flooded tree area that I know had no crappies. Hum, I wonder what he is now fishing for? Could it be a tasty fillet dinner? I would have kindly showed him how and where to fish crappie but he was too hardcore to ask.

Salmon and sturgeon are running right now and so many people are fighting on the river. Itís shoulder to shoulder on the shoreline and boats everywhere on the water. Thatís just too stressful for me.

Cray
10-14-2014, 07:22 AM
I have noticed on the California board when some folks that have gotten on there with no response. The only thing I can say is you need to try to contact some of the few people that have posted. That way maybe you can get the word out and start to build the sport out there.

DRPEPPER
10-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Our forum participation has exploded from Crappie Camps and the post with advice from our more talented fishermen. DP

"D"
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Also, post pictures. They add interest. In the mean time, keep at it. Sounds like you are on your game.

lol11
10-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a try.

NIMROD
10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Be carefull what you seek , too much information has led to crowds on some fishing holes here in Arkansas!

skeetbum
10-14-2014, 07:27 PM
As already said, be careful how you generate interest and take pics at the dock. Be yourself, and share techniques, and be friendly. It will come along on it's own. Good luck with it.

shipahoy41
10-15-2014, 05:47 AM
Welcome from Alabama

keeferfish
10-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Give it time. I was s lurker for a while before joining and posting and look at me now??? Really some great people I consider friends now met from this site and would stay friends if we quit posting today. Maybe because I'm from Missouri! :biggrin

lol11
10-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Thank you all for the kind advice and hopeful remarks. Whether CA people want to chime in or not, I love reading all your stories from the other side of the state. Fall is finally here and I wish you all a fun, safe, and successful trips chasing crappies because I know they are begining to transition and bite hard out here in the west.

keeferfish
10-15-2014, 07:17 PM
If I make it to CA near you I'll help you catch some of those 13" dinks!

chazz
10-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Know what your talking about. I live here in the willamette valley in oregon and everyone loves salmon, trout, and steelhead and occasionally bass. While this makes for less competition on the water it is also makes for a lot of trial and error when learning a new lake or resevoir. I have always loved fishing for warm water species especially crappie. The members of crappie.com have been a huge amount of help with different ideas and ways of locating fish and tactics rarely used here like pulling plugs(for crappie anyways). Best of luck.