Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning combo recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning combo recommendations

Watched a guy in the river casting a spinning outfit with a 1/8oz jig and cigar cork about 100' each throw. Guessing slip cork but it didn't look weighted. I can cast mine about 50' at best... So what am I missing? Rod looked to be at least 6'..... I wanna be able to do that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Longer rod + thinner line + bigger reel spool = more distance

Post Thanks / Like

I build rods for people and that distance seems right but.... there are a few factors to consider.
    1. Type of guide eyes. What are they made of.
    2. Size of eyes. Do they start with a 20mm stripper or 25mm.
    3. Number of eyes. More eyes shoot the line straighter.
    4. Type of blank. Glass, composite, graphite, blend.
    5. Action. Mod fast, fast, x-fast.
    6. Type of reel. You get what you pay for.
    7. Line size.

I would build a 6'6" MHX blank with microwave guide eyes. Blank is lightweight fast action designed to throw under 1/8 oz baits. 2 inch fore grip, 6 inch rear, with a 16mm reel seat. Price of a rig like that you ask? About 150. Not saying you can't buy one off the shelf for 30 bucks but you have to find the right combination and go through 4 or 5 to get there. (5 x 30=150).

I would also put on a shimano stradic reel. That will set you back another 200. Again, I'm sure others will do it for cheaper but how many will you buy to get there.

Hope that helps. Look up "microwave guide eyes" to see what I am talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

I good shimano reel will help a lot.You don't need a stradic a Sedona will work. They are half the price. I have two Sedonas on 5'6 light action and I can almost spool them with a weight cork.the rods with the microwave eyes will help a lot like wicklundrh said. But for crappie I can't pay that much for a rod. A good reel will help you the most for the $

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I topped out at $120 for my new rod and reel and though that was pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you believe the Berkley TV commercial, he was using Nanofil line. Cute commercial too.
    Berkley® NanoFil® - TV - YouTube
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of the distance I normally cast at, but with a 1/8th. ounce head, most UL to L action commercial rods will do just nicely. Take a look at the 7' B n' M SHSS rod (about $45.). Match that up with a Pflueger President 2520 series reel (another $45.). Fill it with 2# test Fireline. Add a 3' section of 2# fluorocarbon leader, using the Alberto knot. This rig, along with several others (which are quite similar) that I have, can cast about far as anything you could ever want - IMO. And you can get this complete set-up for about $100.+-. Yes, you can get better quality. But why?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

The three UL outfits I've been using the last couple of years are: the rods are all 6 1/2' long

Bass Pro Pro Comp II UL ($19 back in the 80's and wish I had bought more) and a Shimano TX-110 UL reel - this used to be one of Shimano's top of the line reels $50 (80's)
    Cabelas Pro Guide 4 piece pack rod ($4 at a flea market) and a Shimano AX 1000 UL reel $3 at a flea market
    Shakespere Ugly stick Pro light ($30), I also have a 7' Pro Light UL and I switch back and forth with a Shimano Symetre 1000 reel - when I was going through some really bad medical problems a very kind member here on the board sent me this reel.

I have 5 other Shimano spinning reels that are anywhere from 20+ yrs. to 8+ yrs. The only one that looks a little beat is the AX1000 but is very sound. It doesn't have to be really expensive to get set up but a good reel will last you many years with good care. And yes I'm a bit stuck on the Shimano's but they have been really good to me and Shimano stands behind them.

Post Thanks / Like

Crestliner08,

I get asked that question all the time. My answer is always the same... Once you fish with a custom rod you more than likely won't want to fish with anything else. Production rods are just that. Mass produced with little "attention to detail" given.

Best example I can give is this. Go look in any box store and pick up a rod. Look down the rod from the butt to the tip. You should be able to see the spine of the rod. That spine should always point "down". The guide eyes should be straight and follow the spine from the handle to the tip. Most of the time, the guides are crooked and the spine is off center. Eyes don't line up with the handle. This causes friction when casting and added abrasion when fighting a fish.

As far as the comment "once you fish with one". Ussually it boils down to fit and comfort as you are getting the exact handle configuration you want. Try getting a six inch foregrip on a 7ft 6in medium light fast jigging rod at a box store. It doens't happen. For that matter, try actually finding what you "want". Split grip rods seem to the what every company is going to however, not everyone likes that. I spend 7 to 8 hours fishing tournaments jigging for walleye in the river. My rod without a reel weights 1.25lbs. A similar design in a box store weights 3.4lbs. At the end of the day, your arms can tell the difference.

I received a PM from a friend of mine the other day asking for a specific rod. We can call it an ATV of rods as he wanted to cast "specific" baits for multiple species of fish. The type of baits he is casting warrent a very specific action of rod. Couple that with the length and handle configuration he is looking for..... they don't make it and sell it in the store.

Rods are no different than anything else you buy. We spend thousands of dollars on electronics and trolling motors. We don't buy stuff because it is on sale. If you like to use a specific fishing line that costs 5 dollars more than another brand, we buy it... rods are not any different.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    My rod without a reel weights 1.25lbs. A similar design in a box store weights 3.4lbs.

These numbers can't be right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast