Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rig vs tight line vs slow vertical trolling and what is the difference

I live in Nebraska but the Iowa DNR does such a great job with the lakes in Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig vs tight line vs slow vertical trolling and what is the difference

It looks like in some cases you let the drop weight drag or bounce along the bottom. I have also heard that you can use the drop weight as a much smaller downrigger ball and target suspend fish. Has anyone use the second option of using the weight as a downrigger so that you can fish at a constant depth and not drag it along the bottom?

Thanks for all your helpl.

CrappieTim

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When tightlining (spider rigging) you don't fish on the bottom. You use a 1/4 oz and up weight to keep your bait at a set depth you want to fish. Works like a small downrigger. You slow troll with the lite weights or use a heavier weight if you want to go at faster speeds. With a 1/2 oz rig I troll at .05 mph or slower and with a 3/4 oz I troll at .08 and down and so on with bigger weights.

With these setups you can fish at any depths you want. Just keep the boat speed slow enough to keep the lines running vertical so to keep your bait at the right depth.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes FalconSmitty LIKED above post