Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need catfish info,,please!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default need catfish info,,please!!!

I have recently moved to an area of Michigan which has a good number of catfish. From what I understand the majority of them are channel cats but there are a few flatheads. I live just 2 blocks from a dam on a good sized impoundment. I have access to a couple miles of the river on the down side of the dam and also the entire lake. The water is always stained to dirty or muddy. It is great for specks and smallmouth but I would like to try my luck at catching a few catfish. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year,cutbait...especially shad.
    If they vary the outflow of the dam,drift the bait by current breaks near the outlet during an increase.On a decrease,move farther down and fish holes.
    As the water cools,flats will group up in the deeper holes in the river section or move to the lake,If you locate them from a boat with electronics,a 1 oz. jig with a 5 inch white grub can work,just don't snag them.

Finding cats in the winter is the hardest part-fishing the outflow of a dam with nightcrawlers will usually get something,even if its not a catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

one of my favorite ways to fish for cats is balloon fishing. take your line and and mesure the depth you want and tie on a balloon, fold your line up, place a rubberband around your line, release all into the water, allow it to drift out were you want it and give a gentle tug and that will release your weight usually a 2oz and hooks to drop to the desired depth. cats will come up several feet to hit live bait.just sit back and wait for the loud busting of the balloon and the rest is up to you and the equipment. good luck and good fishing
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

A hand cranked telephone works great!! er er just kiddin of course.

Down here I bottom fish them with any kind of plastic lure with some sticky cheese rubbed on it. Works for me!
    Roy