Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in sun & wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in sun & wind

This is a question for Darryl and Jerry since we won't have any sun now till april, I may as well at least talk about it. I was wondering how you guys who spend nearly every day out on the water protect yourself from sun and windburn. I burn easily and have to be careful when I spend whole days fishin or golfing. Do you wear guidewear - long pants and sleeves even in the summer? Just something I've been curious about. I've seen guides, sailors and pro fishermen who look 10 yrs older than they are because of the elements, and then theres skin cancer to worry about. I hate wearing sunscreen because I'm a bit hairy. (GRIZZ)
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't wear sunscreen during the summer. I probably should, but my tan is usually pretty well set in by the end of April if not earlier. This last year I started wearing shorts and sandals sometime around the last week of March and did so well into October. As for windburn, I get that too when it's cold. My face stays red all the time and folks think I'm just soooo sunburned. I think it's my Irish heritage.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm allergic to most sunscreens - makes me itch like I have Poison Ivy - sometimes just from shaking someone's hand who has just applied sunscreen. I have found one I can use but it's not waterproof so it makes a mess in the minnow bucket.

I have some American Indian blood so I tan fairly easily and we're usually off the water by noon during the hottest time of year when the sun is most intense.

I wear a wide brimmed hat year around and Polarized sunglasses with UV protection. But I too wear shorts, short sleeve shirts and sandals nearly 8-months out of the year so I know I'm getting a lot of exposure.

I have a friend in his upper 70s that guides and has fished a lot over the years and he just had some cancer cut off one of his ears so it does make you think about it.

I guess I should keep looking for a waterproof sunscreen that I can tolerate. Funny thing is that sunscreen is the only thing that I know of that I am allergic too - go figure.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use sun screen and I know that I should. But I have always been afraid that the fish will be able to smell it. A fish sense of smell is 400 time of that of a dog. That is why using some kind of sent on your biats will work so good. I have taken people fishing several times when they stopped catching fish once they put sun screen on. There use to be a sun screen in a squeeze tube with a sponge on the end to keep it off your hands, but it did not sell very good so they quit making it. I wish they would start making it again. Then I would start using it again.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Most sunscreens only protect against UVA. Now scientist have changed their minds and say that skin cancer is caused by both UVA and UVB. While at the same time, there are other scientists saying that skin cancer is mostly hereditary. Who knows, obviously they don't. I'm certainly not going to get into panic mode about it. Everything in moderation. Wear a hat, eat your vegetables, have a beer if you want one. Excess is what kills us.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Well thats kind of disappointing. I though you guys would be a fount of wisdom about protecting yourself from overexposure. I also have some american indian blood in my but I must have missed the line where they were giving out skin that tanned easily. I'm real quiet in the woods though, and I know not to use poison ivy to... well we won't go there.

I also live in shorts as soon as it gets above 50 and stays there, but I wear crocs now. Those things are the best.

I think if I become a guide I'll invest in some high quality guide wear and wear zip offs and long sleeve guide wear clothing, but who knows what I would do once I was out there. I have had sun poisoning a couple times and its murder. Put me in bed for a week both times, so I need think about my skin and my future health. I suggest you 2 do the same. Skin cancer is bad news.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Bull Frog Quick gel is what I use. Oh and a BPS ball cap and shades.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never understood why most fisherman wear ball caps. I guess because most fishing hats are that style. They sure don't give the sides of your cheeks, your ears and the back of your neck any protection, which are probably the most vulnerable areas to start with.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Jerry, not much protection from ball caps. Maybe we can get some of the illegal aliens to bring us some sombrero's... thats like wearing an umbrella.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the guys with the guide boats probably cant use these but i can and do. It's called a Mantis. Its a portable bimini style umbrella that connects to your seat and allows you to fish in the shade. I've been using mine for three seasons and i can fish in the brightest sunlight and hottest part of the day and still be cool. Now, i'm not pushing this but just sharing info that may keep some of the membership comfy. It's very pricey but well worth it to me. Here's the website if you want to check it out. www.pro-techt.com. I've even fished in LIGHT rain sitting under it. But its not very usefull in strong winds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast