Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worms not growing/ stunted

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worms not growing/ stunted

Hey worm farm is doing great EXCEPT, I have a 1000 worms but they are all small. They are eating like crazy just not growing. 2 years so far. I'm guessing overpopulated but how can I regulate it? I cannot fish that much and these are to small to put on a hook. Should I throw 1/2 out?? Never had a problem other than getting them drunk once off some sour mash. Here is part of my original post. The worms are Euro nightcrawlers from Walmart. The parent worms were nice 4"worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you sifted the all the bedding? I find that younger worms tend to be hungrier and more active, so you see them closer to the surface more often.

Post Thanks / Like

I Got the same problem ctf58 only I have had mine for at least 3 years they got a little bigger when I started feeding them a handful of chicken scratch but still barely big enough to put on a hook. I got a ton of worms so was thinking stunted as well but are they? After all we started with a small amount.

Post Thanks / Like

How often have you changed your bedding?
    How often do you feed them?
    How damp do you keep the bedding?
    Do you cover it with news paper?
    What do you have your worm bed in?
    With these answers you can get a better ideal of what your issues may be? I have red Wigglers that get as big as a pencil in my beds. And right now both of them need redoing. But I feed Corn meal every day and sprinkle it with water. I know people tell you no to wet the feed. But I only feed 1/4 cup per bed per day. This when dampened and covered with news paper. Allows them to feed and grow bigger and faster.
    Pete

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I feed mine corn meal every day and cover with news paper...I wet the news paper down every day. They are doing fine.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes ShilohRed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I feed mine corn meal every day and cover with news paper...I wet the news paper down every day. They are doing fine.
    Agree 1000% but have seen some people that had issues with worms not growing. Hear them say they had not changed the bedding in months. Don't know about worms, but would be hard to live in your own Poop.. And after a while that is all that is left in a worm bed it Poop. Now its good for flower beds or Vegetables, but not for worms to live in for long.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Pete....but I do know a guy that beds his red worms in nothing but cow manure and they thrive and do well. I use a 50 50 mixture of potting soil and peat moss.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I agree Pete....but I do know a guy that beds his red worms in nothing but cow manure and they thrive and do well. I use a 50 50 mixture of potting soil and peat moss.
    Cow Manure will work for sure, but the worm castings has everything stripped from it. But then again I have 2 beds full of eggs now that I'm waiting for them to hatch out. Then will move them into new beds..
    Pete