Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Frustrating day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrating day

So I got off work early today so I decided to hit the river on the way home. Didnt lose any jigs this time so thats a bonus (I guess).

Fished a back channel area, Tried fishing around a dock and some small downed trees. Just flipping various jigs under a slip float. Thought I felt two thumps, once near the dock and once just casting out and slow retrieving.

Went over to the main river side for a bit. Was flipping the jig near a downed tree with no luck. Cast out into the center of the river and let the slow current take the jig/float down river, when it was 30 ft or so past me id start reeling in slowly. Felt a decent thump on one retrieve, and couldnt get it to repeat again in the same location so i know it wasnt a rock.

I seem to be missing setting the hook soon enough on a thump. What do you guys do, just set the hook anytime you feel anything? Just bring the rod tip up or jerk upnin a quick snap? Ive caught smallmouth in the river and they feel like a freight train hitting a lure. Im guessing these thumps were crappie or something else small.

I guess I need more time trying for crappie and getting used to those thumps.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When casting jigs .... set the hook on ANY feeling of a "thump", line jump or sideways movement, or in the case of sudden slack line (when you know the jig cannot possibly be on the bottom). And yes ... you set the hook IMMEDIATELY upon seeing or feeling any of these indications.

And while you can usually tell when Bluegill are hitting your jig, by the rat-a-tat-tat cadence of the hits, or a really hard yank & run ... it's not always Bluegill. Case in point : I was casting a jig at a bridge pillar and slowly reeling it back. This was after I had already fished the pillar from close up, and caught some fish, but the bite had slacked off. I assumed there were more fish in the area, but that they may have moved away from the pillar due to the commotion. I kept getting these "electric" vibrations through the rod, that felt almost like dragging the jig on a sidewalk. I first thought it may have been small Bluegill nipping at the tail, or possibly the Herring Shad that are known to be in those waters & will eat minnows and hit jigs. I was about to give up on the area & go somewhere else, but as I was contemplating that, I had that same "vibration" occur as I was retrieving my jig. I got a little "miffed" and set the hook in anger/frustration. To my surprise, I had hooked into a Crappie of about 1.5lbs I continued setting the hook when this vibration feeling occurred, and landed several more Crappie of about the same size. I told my fishing partners about the "feeling" and to set the hook on any retrieve that didn't come back smoothly ... and they, too, started nailing fish.

what those fish were doing, or why, but I sure don't hesitate to set the hook on ANY strange feeling or line movement, anymore !! I don't connect with fish on all such occasions ... but, I do think my hookup ratio has increased by me setting the hook immediately upon seeing or feeling anything I perceive as a hit, regardless of how subtle or strange it might be.

... cp
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to sneak out of work a little early today and try the river again. Took your advice CP, set the hook at anything that felt remotely unusual. Only spent about an hour at the river but had 6 fish to show for it, would have had a seventh but he shook off right at shore. Only problem is they were all largemouth bass! Oh well they were still fun to catch, even if they were mostly dinks.......the largest was pushing 12 inches. All were caught on a 1/32oz orange/chartruse tube jig on a beetle spin rig, tipped with crappie nibbles.

I was trying for crappie, casting round trees and brush. Oh well, ill get some crappie ome of these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, good, good, good vibrations!! Great song and way to go!!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

While it is true crappie like wood. They also ambush their food and in a river situation they will sit just outside the current and wait for food to float on by. You need to find the spot the has cover just ont he edge of the current, preferable next to the main channel. Keep trying. While you may not be catching fish, your learning what isn't working. There is no substitute for spending time on the water.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Count your blessings and not your fish and your basket will always be full.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

True, there is value in learning what doesnt work. This is the first summer ive fished a river so im just happy to be catching anything. One of my big problems right now is being shore bound. Wading into the river a little would help me get to the cover closer to the current seams that arent accessible from shore. Ill hopefully have that problem fixed next spring.

Hows it go......a terrible day fishing is better than the best day in the office. Its just fun to get out and fish, no matter what i catch, its relaxing either way.