Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bluegill spawn- take two

Post Thanks / Like

Default bluegill spawn- take two

ok so theoretically in the spring i could take home 30 crappie and 50 gills in one day. imagine that. has anyone ever done something like that ? just wondering if any of yall had ever come close or surpassed a catch like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default shouldn't be a problem

I don't target both at the same time, but with the proper set up and bait, that would not be unrealistic at all. Most of the time when I get gills while crappie fishing ,I don't get all that many, but seem to be the larger ones .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    ok so theoretically in the spring i could take home 30 crappie and 50 gills in one day. imagine that. has anyone ever done something like that ? just wondering if any of yall had ever come close or surpassed a catch like that?
    State bag limit for Florida is 25 Specks and 50 bream. I have not done both in one day but it could be done (although the 25 Florida Speck limit might be a little tougher). Most Florida anglers do not reach their limit of either. I have had 100 fish days on the fly rod and over 50 bream in one day but I wouldn't think of keeping that many bream unless there was a public event with a fish fry involved but I doubt that would happen. No way I have ever even gotten close to my limit of Florida Specks but I'm still hopeful . The most Specks me and my fishing buddy have caught in one day (a good day) so far are probably around 10 or 12 and that for both of us but a good number of bream are usually mixed in :D.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had days where i have easily caught limits of both but would never keep them at the same time. Just to much work cleaning that many fish. One day i did keep close to a limit of gills for the family fishfry but thats what they wanted me to fry for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

When I used to fish Maynor Creek near Waynesboro, MS I've come across sandy points that were literally black with spawning fish...less than 2 feet deep......staked out and threw crickets into them...no bobber needed...one day caught 98 shellcrackers with 100 crickets...another spot produced shellcrackers from the back of the boat and bluegills from the front...bedding side by side...

Bushrod:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Michigan we are only allowed 25 of crappies and gills combined. This makes limits not to hard to come by. We do not keep them often but once in a while it is hard to pass up a good fish fry. The smallest of the gills and specks in the photo are 7 inchers so this made for a respectable limit for my son and I.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The lakes I fish have a recipical agreement with the bordering state of S.C. which allows a limit of 30 each. In the spring catching a limit of crappie or bream isnt hard to do and doing both wouldnt be all that hard if you wanted to unload your bream tackle and pick up crappie tackle and go again. (I nite time fish for crappie and daytime fish for gills.) One thing for sure, I aint keeping and cleaning that many fish at one time since I fish as often as I do. There's nothing like fresh fish so I usually only clean what we'll eat at a time.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Lake Norman here in N.C. We don't have a creel limit on bream...I think I might have to set aside one day to see if I can get me some of them...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gabowman,

Do you catch any with any size to them? If so, what kind of areas are you fishing. I haven't fish for them much in Russell, but the ones I've caught were kinda small.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Mississippi the limits are 30 Crappie/day and 100 bream/day. I never seem to have enough time to fill a limit of bream in one day but have come close a couple of times- don't really want to clean that many at one time anyway. Never tried to get a limit of both in the same day though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast