Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your cold experience

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your cold experience

I thought this might give us some laughs. Share some of your cold experiences with us.

Well I told yall about how crappieseeker tried to freeze me to death in Jan. But that had nothing on last night.
    Ever try puting a jig on with numb fingers. I stuck myself several times, couldnt hold my pole right cuz i couldnt really feel it in my hands.

I'm tellin myself Jo time to go, but myself telling me just one mote cast. And now when I think about it wasnt even crappie i was chasin. I was chasin sauger, well i caught 4 they better be good too.

I could have stood the cold but my fingers could not take it. I had on gloves some cheap walmarts, and some ski gloves the misses bought me but the were too bulky.

Question if your still reading this, have you noticed that once your hands get cold the gloves seem to keep the cold in?:rolleyes: Just some food for thought.

Oh well share your experiences with us, give us a chuckle or two.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

It was 19 degrees when I hit the water yesterday morning.
    Hand warmers save your hands.
    Would hate to be on the water here Friday morning. Wind chills around 0.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have several, but not enough time left tonight to tell them all. My dad and i have pulled some dumb stunts in the cold weather that would have killed an average person. Not much humor in them. It pains me to even think of some of the stupid things we did. like pull your clothes off to swim a slough for a downed duck in 20 degree weather at dusk two miles from the truck and everything in the woods too wet to burn. I almost set his clothes on fire jusst to warm him up. Had to back-pack him through the woods to the truck. Left the keys back on the slough with the guns and ducks. Not much fun in that.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

I broke through the ice while ice fishing one New Year's day. Went in up to my armpits before my feet touched bottom. I had a cold forty mile drive back home.
    Ken

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crappieken

Ken your a lot tougher than me--I would have shook my dizzy LOL
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was ice fishing and changing a jig when I droped my gloves in the water. Oh great now I have wet gloves. Well luckly I was smart and brought along a backup pair. I put the backup pair on and they have a hole in them. Well when I quit fishing my hands were bright red and purple on the finger tips. I will never do that again. I got smart and bought some waterproof gloves.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mighty, I took a guy I work with fishing with me the other morning. He said the cold doesnt bother him that he usually doesnt get cold. He changed his mind. The outside air temp gauge he had said 17 degrees, my vehicle said 22, anyway you get the picture, it was cold. I ran him wide open up the river before the sun ever came up. He held the spot light and I know his hands were hurting. My forhead felt like someone took a sledge hammer to it lol. He admitted I got the best of him. I wondered if you remembered me freezing you that morning. This poor fellow couldnt thread a hook, he couldnt bait his hook, he couldnt do much of anything. Tried to use slip floats but they would freeze to the line. The eyes froze so quick that every time we wanted to cast we had to dip our rods. The trolling motor would not even lock in for the water that froze on it. It was a very cold morning, but we ended up with 19 keepers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold, DUMB or both....

When I first got my big boat 18.5 I went up on the river at John Redmond Lake (night). Put the boat in and pulled the boat up on the bank and drove the truck up. Came back and the wind had blown the boat across the river onto the other side. Mind you, there were channel cat fisherman down the bank about a 100 yards with a bon fire and here I am with my boat on the other side with no boat in sight. Needless to say, I got into my birthday suit and jumped in. Didn't look up just swam straight as I could and ran into the boat. Froze my butt off!! Got my *** together and put my clothes back on. Can't even remember if I caught fish that night but I sure as heck remember how cold that water was. Life is full of adventures that can teach you a lesson. Learned a lot that night.

On another note...crappie fishing at Melvern in January, was about 15 F when I put the boat in. Not to bad...got out to the main lake and that north wind was blowing pretty good. Water was splashing in and was freezing a few seconds after it hit. Another of the many lessons that one learns when dealing with winter, cold weather and wind. Needless to say, I did a 360 and made it back to the ramp.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-07-2006 at 02:41 AM.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

4 years ago I was fishing on the night before Thanksgiving on one of those nights up here that really make the walleyes bite. That means about 20 degrees and it had been cold early that year and the lake was about to freeze up.

We had been fishing for about 2-3 hours and caught a couple we wanted to leave for on a stringer to come back and get later. I went looking for a spot along the canal we were fishing in the dark to find a spot I could tie them up where someone wouldn't come along and take them.

I didn't know that the boat containers were on racks that hung over the edge of the canal. I though they were just sitting on the edge, so I stepped between a couple of them in the dark and hit nothing but thin air. Next thing I knew I was under water that was in the upper 30's degree range. The canal was about 6 feet deep and there was a steel wall that went up to the ground that was about 3.5 feet above the water.

After I came back to the surface and gasped a few times I realized I was in a bad spot. The canal just got deeper toward the middle and I couldn't swim with all those soaked heavy clothes on. My buddy ran over and I jumped up and grabbed the edge of the steel and tried to pull myself up but with all the extra weight from the wet clothes I couldn't. John grabbed my arms and tried to pull me up, but he could budge me. I hopped over to one of the docks and tried climbing one of the dock poles but they were icy and I couldn't get a grip.

John threw our cooler in the water to see if I could use it to get higher in the water and get up a pole or the wall, but it just kept dumping me back in the drink. By this time I had been in the water for about approx 5 minutes and I could start to feel my body going numb from the cold.

I just pushed the cooler away and sat there and thought for a second. There was a stack of picnic tables up next to the canal and I told John to go grab one and throw it in the water which he did in a hurry. I pulled the table over to the wall and tipped it up on its end against the wall and tried to climb up it to the edge of the wall. By that time I found I could barely feel myself below my neck, but somehow I pulled myself up the table to the edge and both John and I pulled myself up and over the lip of the canal onto the grass. I just flopped over and laid there for a sec gathering my thoughts for a sec before I tried to stand up which was difficult because I was totally numb by then. Such a weird feeling.

I stripped off all my clothes and my boots and socks down to my shorts right there and john gave me a sweat shirt from his van to put on. I jumped in my car and cranked the heater. I was fine in about 20 minutes or so and John somehow managed to get the cooler and the table out of the water while I was warming up and getting the feeling back in my body.

I think if John wasn't there I probably would have stripped down in the water immediately and swam around the of the end of the canal to the rocks, but who knows. My guardian angels were watchin me that night for sure. Thank God.

We went back at the same spot fishin the next night and slammed em pretty good. I lost a pocket knife and my glasses.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 12-06-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

took my dad ice fishing, terrible winds. he had a little ice hut every time i would step out of the hut he would blow across the lake about 30 yards. my nephew and I would go drag him back over his holes dont remember catching fish but laughed our a###es off:D :D :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast