Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I guess just not meant to be

Post Thanks / Like

Default I guess just not meant to be

Tried laminates again the past several days. Tried on Baby shad stinger type molds for top/bottom laminate. Tried with two different manufacturer molds. Jacobs and Bears. Heated pink in one cup and white in the other. Heated them both to 330 degrees. Both at same temp. I heated the molds, blending block and twinjector and shot. Some baits did not fill out and the laminates looked mixed. Tried a second mold immediately and white plastic bypassed up into the pink injector and corrupted the whole batch of that color. The few baits that did turn out were smudged up to barely noticing the white belly I was trying to accomplish.

I also bought a laminate plate from Jacobs and tried it. first baits I tried tuned out pretty good. Tried to get the second shot of plastic injected at 350 to insure a good weld. Tried a second shot of baits and the colors just pealed apart just like about every other time I have tried this method. I was told to make sure My lam plates were clean doing this. I checked the plate before the second shot it was powder dry and clean. I can make any body to tail color lam work great now. These belly to top lams have whipped me. The stinger type baits are the type baits that got me in this hobby. If I can't do these baits, I will consider giving this hobby up. I don't like to but I have spent too much money already and tried so many things and just can't seem to find anything that works.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You should never give up . I know you have not went through AS much plastic as I have but it takes time to learn the skill of this hobby once you learn your on your way I'm pretty sure the rest the guys will tell you the same thing.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CF, I have learned some mighty big lessons when I just give up. I don't know your process and I am sure you have covered everything you can imagine but laminates should not be that hard. I do them sometimes with a plate and I hate to say it but I rarely have any issues of not bonding. I think it is a process of elimination. Have you tried shooting just the plastic with no color. Might be your color products. It is a contamination problem of some kind. I make my own laminate plates out of brass shim and I clean them with brake cleaner. I know you can figure it out so don't give up.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

I might be able to help with the cold cracking Spike it makes a product called bond coat
    you could shoot one side
    Take it out of the mold
    Coat the side you need to stick
    Wait till they all cure
    Put in mold and shoot the other side
    It should stick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISHER HAWK 186 View Post
    I might be able to help with the cold cracking Spike it makes a product called bond coat
    you could shoot one side
    Take it out of the mold
    Coat the side you need to stick
    Wait till they all cure
    Put in mold and shoot the other side
    It should stick
    Where do You find this product? I went to their web site and could not find it and searched with no results. That would be nice.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind. Found it. Thanks. Will try it.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Something else here and I don't see it mentioned is shooting up a pile of bellies and then coming back a week later to top coat them. If you are not using your belly colors immediately after shooting them with the plate, you need to wash them in alcohol to get rid of the natural oils that come out of the plastic when its stored after cooking. You may not feel it but its there and it is NOT product specific. They all do it.

Unless you're going to try and sell a few thousand baits I'd toss that twin injector and or plate and hand pour the bellies using a simple spoon and then injecting right away. I never have the kind of issues you've brought up and that's all I do for 2 color belly shots. Once in a great while on a larger bait I'll use a plate when doing a three color belly shot but not very often.

Post Thanks / Like

CF To start with i have not tried a duel injector. But this is something i come up with on what u said. U said u were heating your molds. This maybe letting the colors mix while they are not cooling fast enough. I tried it once with my Laminate plate it did not work with me, plus it took too long to get my baits out. Next with the lam plates are u mixing scent with your plastic or extra additives. I first started two color i used a brush and like brushed the top, one swipe in each cavity i did some blue and white this way. Might try cutting some solid color in half and try this to see if they stick. U are not spraying anything on your molds for a release that is wicking into your baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give a little more detail to what I'm doing. I am heating the molds to help with dent issues. But I am not super heating them just warming them where they are still bearable to touch just close to being too hot to touch with bare hands. I shoot the bellies and always immediately set up and do second top shot. I do not use any other product in hot plastic. just color, and stabilizer. I have used two different companies stabilizers and plastisols. No difference. I tried wiping alcohol before but I'll try it again. I'll post some more stuff if I think of it. Thanks for all the support.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Dip the laminated bodies in a clear dip. They won't de-laminate then.