Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyboby running a terranova 55 ipilot

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyboby running a terranova 55 ipilot

I have a Bass Tracker Pro Crappie 175 and I'm ready to step up to the I-pilot. I know that a 24v/80lb motor would be better but is it "necessary" to long line troll with a boat this size. I trolled for years in a 1648 jon with a hand 55lb troller and 1 battery and never had a problem, but this boat is quiet a bit heavier.

I don't mind buying a 24v system, if it is gonna be necessary most of the time....... not just on them 30mph wind days. I'll be in the house then. lol

I fish with my boys a lot so a long trip for us would be 6-7 hrs. tops

Any real world experiences with this motor in a boat this size?????

Thanks

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run one on a 17.9 Wareagle stick steer. In run 2 group 27 battery's on it. I mostly spider rig but do a little long lining and pull cranks. Pulling cranks at 1.5-1.7 on a pretty breeze day I can get about 5 hrs. I have done .7-.8 for 6/7 hrs with no problem. I love the motor. Group 31 battery's would get you more time. If it was me and I did more long lining and crank pulling with trolling motor I would go with the 24. Lower settings to get same speed equals longer battery life equals longer time fishing. So little cost difference between the two since I'm talking 2 battery's anyway I think you would be happier in the long run.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you would need 2 batteries to get 6-7 hours trolling with the 55 you might as well go with the 80. Besides it wouldn't hurt to have that extra power if you ever needed it to get the boat out of the way of an idiot speeding towards you and not paying attention or any other danger that may come up..
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

what Barnacle Bill said, I had a 55AP on my 17'glass boat and even a little wind would put the brakes on went to an 80# Maxxum and wind is no problem.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on my boat . My boat is a 175 lowe stinger it pulls it fine .I have had mine for over a year and not run out of battery yet.you probably can't pull cranks all day but it's fine for anything else. And I love it .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    I have one on my boat . My boat is a 175 lowe stinger it pulls it fine .I have had mine for over a year and not run out of battery yet.you probably can't pull cranks all day but it's fine for anything else. And I love it .
    How many batteries do you have to run?

Post Thanks / Like

I just have one battery and I have never run it down. I have long lined all morning and never ran out of battery. I do have good name brand batterys that might be the difference. It will only get up to 2.5 so pulling cranks may not last long. Never had a problem with anything else even on windy days

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on 16' fiberglass I run 2 group 27. I have pulled cranks for over 8 hours and still have power to spare.Most of the time I cruise at 1.3-1.9 mph with cranks so if you long line at slower speed it should extend trolling time. If trolling in high wind... say above 15 mph it will drain battery quicker. LOVE IT

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 55 on my 18-1/2ft multi species boat and use 2 batteries and run all day and still have plenty of battery left. I have never run out of power. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Tracker PT175 with a Terrova 55/IP combo, only 1 group 27 batt, and I can longline for 5-7hr, and have 2/3's-3/4 charge left based on the battery status indicator on the TM. Pulling cranks on this set up will drain the battery in a 2-3 hrs, if you double up on the batteries, rumor has it both batteries need to be identical in age and condition or you end up with problems.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast