Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY bait holding tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY bait holding tank

My fishing camp is 20 miles from the closest bait shop so I need a way to purchase no more than six dozen minnows and hold them at the cabin for three or four days. I have a 7 gallon bucket and was thinking about building a false bottom out of small perforated piece of plastic and mounting a 120V pump under it. Intake would be at pump and could run the output hose to the top to squirt back in. Anybody ever done this? Planning on making something this weekend do any tips are appreciated

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try it and see. If it was me think I would opt for something in the 20 gal range though. Mabe a old large cooler, cut off old blue plastic drum something like that.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Cray. The bigger the "tank" you get the better. Volume is your friend when keeping fish alive. Water chemistry changes are not so drastic if you have a lot of water.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look at something more like a trash can in the 20 gallon range. White is better both to keep it cooler and to be able to see the minnows.

Consider that you are going to want to dump water to clean it out, so mount your pump in a way that lets you do that.

I'd go with a 12V pump with a thru-hull fitting and a screen over the intake. You can use a cheap 12V adapter to power the pump.

Post Thanks / Like

I do just the opposite as Catfan on the pump, I use 110v pumps and a convert in the boat or truck. Bigger is better period, treat your water and pump some air to it for a little while before adding the bait.
    I use a black box, not the preferred color, I got from Wally World. Its a truck box with a lid and it works surprizingling well, carrying 5 pounds of minners to Greenville in it in just a little while.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Let me say again this will be a holding tank for a max of 3 days. I will bring the bait in the oxygen bag from the bait shop and dump them in the holding tank at the cabin plugged in to outlet then dip out a couple dozen into the regular sized bait bucket with D cell aerator to take out on the boat. I've been doing this with about three dozen in a small bucket with a D cell aerator but they die on day 2 and going thru D cells pretty fast. Should I pump air or water? I'm thinking water. Are there some tablets that will allow me to use sink water?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have power at the cabin you can use?

Post Thanks / Like

A large clear plastic storage tote. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411571773.023527.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  13.0 KB

Use a fish tank aerator and your golden, cut holes in the lid.
    Crappie, specs, freckles, slabs...call them what ever you want! I'll just call them delicious!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eatmorecrappie View Post
    Do you have power at the cabin you can use?
    Yes!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good success keeping minnows alive for short periods of time using a cheap aerator with air stone Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411573137.320906.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  74.8 KBand liquid dechlorinator from Walmart. The minnows in the 10 gallon bucket have been in there since 4 days. Keep them in the shade. Temperature is as important as aerator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast