Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are You Ready?

Getting around the country like I do I tend to notice subtle changes in the seasons. One of the reasons my Queen and I live here is for the seasons and the beauty in the changes of them. Just this past week I passed the first cold changed Maple tree of the upcoming fall season, the first hint of the most favorite season of the year for me. Saw a bachelor group of mature whitetail still in velvet while coming South on Friday, 2 of them are going to make someone very happy. Deer stands pass me on trailers going to the hunting grounds. Corn is being put in the silos and the Deer are more visible. Beans are turning brown waiting for their turn. Snow has already fallen west and north of me, I've been told. The water temps are trying to sneak into the lower 80's, maybe less by now. Turnover will be here before I know it with the couple of weeks of crummy fishing that comes with it, but then I get a very big smile for the rest of the cold season as the crappie go to their deeper places. Deep jigging is a favorite of mine even though I might not get the numbers this past summer has given trolling. The thump with a heavy jig is just great. Traffic on the water slowly thins to just the fishermen, lake lice gone til the water warms many months from now. The Thermos is a standard when we leave the house and you better eat your biscuit on the way to the lake or you might not like the taste quite as much. Zipping down the lake slows down also unless the face is covered. Fall being my favorite of the seasons is kind of like getting an early Christmas gift. I hope everyone is ready and looking forward to it as much as I do, gonna be hard to concentrate for me. God Bless you all as you prepare for the fun around the corner, maybe I'll see you there.......Skeet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Skeet, the water temps at Woods today were 76 to 78. That corner is on a short block. Can't wait.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Our water temps are already down in the 60's up here in PA. We've had some 40* nights already. The leaves will be changing very soon but those dangnab lake lice are still buzzing the lakes. Looking forward to this fantastic season of fishing too. Starting pretty good so far.

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished in a sweatshirt yesterday morning. Really enjoyed the cooler temps. The fall bite is turning on. We've planted five greenfields so we will be watching the deer before long.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting cooler in the Virginia mountains...This is my time of the year.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Prime time is right around the corner- temps here in mid-60's- another 10* and the fun will begin- looking to spend time in the stand and in the boat- love this time of year!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, my time of year is coming. I'll start fishing probably in mid November, still have some beds to put out now. I've always loved to bow hunt and for the last 30 or so years I was in a tree in October and November with a bow in my hand. After having shoulder surgery three years ago I can't shoot a bow anymore. I do have a cross bow but it's not much fun. So now winter crappie fishing is my thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Stump,ni am ready! My youngest son drives too and is all over the place and has been from the coat here in Texas to up North lately a good bit so he sees all that stuff too! Enjoy the ride my friend!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's my favorite time of the year too. Finally got out Friday morning for a few hours. Didn't try for crappie but stayed in the river and caught several stripers. Nothing big, but lots of fun. Those fish sure put up a fight. Only going to get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Skeetbum! My favorite time as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast