Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Okuma reels ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okuma reels ?????

Okuma reels-- I had just bought three Okuma Stratus GT sgt-20 reels from Dicks Sporting Goods @ $30.00 each. With nine bearings and the sales clerk recommendation, I figured I could not go wrong. Does any body else use Okuma reels and/or the stratus models? If so, how well do you like them? I would also like to hear about your experience with the other Okuma reels. Thanks for your help.

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Okuma reels are some of the best. Don't let the Okuma throw you into thinking it's just another Made In China cheep reel. Have you looked at Abu Garcia reels and where they are made? (China.) Mitchell Reels? (China.) These are the American Standard of excellence in the Fishing circles. Okuma has not had the notoriety of the other reels but they are equal to and some models surpass them. Although the old saying stands tall here "You get what you pay for."

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard varying opinions of Okumas (not your particular model, but Okumas in general.)

Some people rave about them saying they're Shimano quality at a much lower price. Larry Dahlberg (of "Hunt for Big Fish" fame) is not a fan. He thought they were cheap Shimano knock-off's that were not durable.

The models I've looked at were too heavy for my tastes.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Okuma for quality and value you cant hardly beat them, yes the do make some cheaper plastic models but there spinning reals are great, I have had mine for about 2 years with no problems, just as good as my abu. I think you will be really happy with yours. mine even came with a full diagram so that I could order the part I need, I just have not needed any

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a few Avengers for 4 years. They've been getting a hard workout as i jig with them. A secret i learned about making them last is to close the bail by hand after casting. The bail spring is the only weak link on em. Very good reels tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have an Okuma Avenger 65 thaat i have had for 4 years. I keep 20lb. line on it and it gets a work-out every spring on cat fish. Never had a problem with it. I should take better care of it. It's got mud and sand all over it, dirty as heck, but keeps on working. I think mine in a well built machine.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Okumas have been getting better and better in the last few years. The new models they came out with last year are innovative and well made. They developed a new base reel pattern with the best ones being the VS series which are as good as any reel on the market now.

One thing to keep in mind is that okuma's idea of development is to have a high number of bearings in thier reels. Though the quality of the VS series is right up there the lower cost reels with lots of bearing have lower quality bearings. They are good reels but the lower quality ones are a notch below shimano, quantum and diawa's low cost reels.

Keeping that in mind they are not a bad reel, and I have talked to many owners who are happy with them. Just think of them as the Hyundai of the reel industry. Hyundai's are real good cars, and getting better and better, but they arnt quite up to honda's and toyota's standards yet. They are worth buying if you want an asian car. You get a lot for your money and a good warranty, but if you could afford a few more thousand dollars there are better options with honda and toyota or nissan, though it wont be long until they are just as good. Okuma is just like that.

I just looked at thier website and they have updated all thier reels to the current VS styling which is a very good thing.

http://www.okumafishingteam.com/nav1.html
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

i use the bugger ones for how i fish - the 302L and 452L - i have 8 or so of each and never had a problem yet with striper up to 30 pounds and catfish over 40.....they hold up well.

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problems i've had with them are the ultralite models. As i said, i do a tremendous amount of jig fishing, and they just dont hold up well. I've only gotten 2 seasons from them. Thats why i went up to the AV series. Much more durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help. I did a search on Okuma reels and not much about the stratus gt models but they do like the AV series. Time will tell if mine are any good. Will report about them next year