Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice

So to start, I've only been seriously targeting crappie the second part of this year. I'm more of a bluegill kind of guy, but have recently discovered the crappie population in parts of Maryland are actually pretty good. And lets be honest... who wouldn't rather clean crappie.

I'm taking my 5 month pregnant wife out fishing this weekend, so I need to locate them pretty quickly (small bladder). I have a day ahead of time to attempt to locate the fish, but I've been struggling lately. Last weekend the water temps were 72, with air temps about mid 50s in the morning.

My lake doesn't open until 7am, which doesn't help the cause any. It's also electric only, so it takes a while to navigate it. I caught some very sparadically last weekend in anywhere from 5-15' of water and they were hanging close to the dying weed beds. I can provide a topo map of the lake if that's at all helpful, but I feel like you guys probably dont need that much info.

I don't spider rig, but I do bottom rig and cast jigs. I've been having a hard time locating live minnows for some reason, but I'm hoping to nab some as well.

Need other information? Just let me know and I'll provide it!

Thanks in advance

-Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Longlining if ya need to cover a lot of water. Go down to the South Carolina board and start reading the thread on longlining. It is a sticky and very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the expentance of your upcoming child. Long lining is good but I also like to simply hang a rod over the side of the boat. I usually use a longer 10ft pole but it can be done with shorter. I ensure to use a heavy enough jig in order to minimize jig throw back (trying to stay pretty vertical while moving). I will use a live minnow (if you can get it) or berkly gulp alive minnows work great too. Twister tails can attract alot of fish as well. I am not sure on the number of rods each person can use but I like to have a rod or two over the side up front as well as the same in the back at verying depths until you locate the fish at the depth you want.

I also like to cast smaller jigs with twister tails or plastic shad towards cover. Quick way to cover a ton of ground when paired with the above method.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, this will be boy #2 for me, I'm pretty excited.

I like the idea of longlining, but I may have to give that a shot by myself sometime first. I've been milling the idea of hanging multiple jigs off of the same line and slow trolling like that to try and locate the fish.

Should I be checking the main reservoir this time of year? Or should I start by checking the coves and arms?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are allowed two rods each at least in Maryland. Set one to hang with a couple of jigs each, running the bottom one very close to the bottom and the other one about 15 to 18" above it. Rig the other rod to cast. Drift that along the outside edge of still healthy green weeds using the electric to hold position relative to them. I have had very good success with this sort of rig just using plastics like the bobby garland baby shads, the Southern Pro Lil Hustler tubes or inch and a half Twisters. Work the drift back and forth from the outside weedline to the next break out. This time of year you probably should be looking to set up the drifts close to where the coves and arms meet the main body, and maybe it is just me, but I want my drift to be as slow as possible; so I would be looking for shelter from direct wind.

Work the bottom layers with the set rods and the higher ones by casting. Then set every thing to the depth where you find them, remembering that they will often change depths during the day, too.

This is pretty easy fishing generally drifting broadside to the drift track and using the electric to move in and out along it to keep aligned with the outside weedline. Two rods is pretty easy for anybody to handle when fishing like this and the broadside movement keeps both anglers lines out of each other's hair and the motor, too. You can also run drifts along the deeper breaks using the depth finder to keep your path on target. That often is a productive way to handle the break into the stream channnel leading out into the main lake.

Post Thanks / Like

In short, I would get some 1/32 oz Roadrunners and cast them out, take off what that troll motor keeping your speed under 1MPH, mostly between .3 and .8 MPH. The crappie will come up to get these! I have done this since 1979 and works well for me spring and fall! Good luck!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I plan on using the road runner this time. I've had them in my lite tackle box for quite some time now, but haven't really used them. They never used to catch me a lot of gills. But I'm trying to move on :D. If the Crappie like them, well I'll give them a toss this weekend.