Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Cold Front

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Cold Front

How do most of you approach a post cold front scenario. Slow it down? Go deeper? Always been a little behind the curve when it comes to fishing post fronts.

Post Thanks / Like

mow the lawn. lol

yes, you need to down size, slow down, and fish tight in the cover.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Each lake will vary...our home lake has 2 distinct patterns....we have "pelagic" BIG Slab Crappie that will continue following schools of shad and locate on Drop-offs/Structure close to the schools, the Crappie will hold for a day but will not lose touch of the shad. They will eat but move off the school and hold on structure again.
    Smaller Crappie will hold tight to cover for a couple days until the weather stabilizes, but they will eat if something comes close, or if they are presented to!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish tight to the cover and close to the bottom in shallow lakes. Here they tend to bury up in the cover but will still bite if you can find them.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    mow the lawn. lol

yes, you need to down size, slow down, and fish tight in the cover.
    I've been thinking about the down sizing thing lately. What does that mean for you guys? What weight, type of bait, etc? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_ward View Post
    I've been thinking about the down sizing thing lately. What does that mean for you guys? What weight, type of bait, etc? Thanks!
    I just downsize the size of the swimbaits, normally I'm using 3 to 5 inch swimbaits, and during a front or this time of year when the forage is small, I drop down to a 2 or 2.5 inch swimmer!
    I only change jighead weight due to wind.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I generally just slow down a bit unless the fish are really shallow. If they are shallow, less than 6 feet deep, I find some cover or drop to 1/48th ounce jig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_ward View Post

for me it means switching from a 2'' twister on 1/8 jig, to a "B.G.'' baby shad on a 1/16 jig, and slowing my action way down. added scent helps immensely at these times too.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the front doesn't make a radical change in the deeper water temps, it seems to not have too much effect on Crappie in our lakes. It can, in fact, start the shift towards the Fall pattern ... albeit a "false start" in most cases, this time of year, seeing as how the effects are short lived and air temps rebound back to normal or above.

With our thermoclines in the 12-20ft range, and most Crappie holding at or around those depths, a front doesn't affect them in the long term. When the trend is moving towards consistent cooler weather, and water temps begin to drop in the deeper depths of the water column, the fish will instinctively start to feed more heavily & aggressively. Then those cold fronts can actually help push the fish to react more positively.

Quick rises/falls in the barometric pressure (the result of major fronts) upset the equilibrium of fish in the shallower depths of the water column, and they react to that by hunkering down or going deeper or a slowing of their feeding activity. They're "uncomfortable", so they react accordingly. Once the pressure has eased back to a more comfortable level, the fish detect that and go back to their normal, seasonal behavior.

... cp
    Likes chaunc, Jdb LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast