Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MARCH CRAPPIE DESTINATION?

Post Thanks / Like

Default MARCH CRAPPIE DESTINATION?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to plan a 40th birthday (mine) down south and am wondering where to find a nice resort and some trophy crappies! My wife and I will be driving from Iowa and was thinking Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, or North Texas. My hope is to enjoy some long overdue quality time with my wife, catching some trophy southern slabs, learning some new techniques, and enjoying some much needed warmer weather.

We are on a budget, and I would likely hire a guide for one day to learn the ropes and rent a boat for the remainder of the trip. We may stay at a resort or try to find a house to rent on VRBO.com.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

What about mississippi. I'm going there to their spring camp and hopefully catch some 3 lb slabs.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

My wife suggested we try out the Smoky Mountain area in east Tennessee and I was immediately bombarded with advertisements for Douglas Lake. Anybody have any experience on this lake or an outfitter recommendation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter012463 View Post
    What about mississippi. I'm going there to their spring camp and hopefully catch some 3 lb slabs.
    He won't find any boat rental here
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try MS, but would likely have to stay in the northern 1/4 of the state to save some miles/gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Highway I 55, south of Memphis....
    :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I think we've settled on East Tennessee and are planning to stay near Cosby, Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg. We have been all over the Rockies and haven't been out east beyond Nashville, so looking for some new scenery.

It looks like there are several world class crappie lakes around with Douglas leading the pack. Is there a reputable and reasonable guide that crappie.com members would recommend?

Thanks again guys!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

If you come down to Talquin you can load up on slabs in March...and the wife will only be a few minutes from some if the best beaches in the country.

Post Thanks / Like

MISSISSIPPI
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wherever you choose remember that March weather can be tough. My brother went to Reelfoot on a package deal including a boat and never wet a line. Jon boat and 6hp and 20mph+ winds kept them in the lodge. The guide is a great idea, maybe plan more than one day instead of the rental. You wont find the size fish at Douglas that are available down Reelfoot or 'Sippi but there is a lot to do with the wife over that way. Jonesboro is pretty close and is Tennessee's oldest city with a great historic district and good eats.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast