Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Heated Docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heated Docks

Anyone know of any heated docks in the NE Kansas area capable of producing keeper fish? Been to Hillsdale, but way too many people out there to have any good luck.....Pomona or Melvern worth a trip?

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Melvern several times. It is a hit and miss when they are biting but most generally worth the trip. (size is not a factor for me-fishing is) Just give Doug a call who owns the Marina and heated dock and he'll tell you how the fishing been.
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Post Thanks / Like

Default dock fishing

I often do well at melvern in the winter, but you have to work alot harder to get the fish to hit. when the fish are on the docks often times they are not feeding, However they can be coaxed in to hitting finesse baits such as tiny hair jigs and small spoons such as swedish pimp;es. I am a slip renter at clinton and catch many limits of negative fish regularly, you just have to downsize your bait and tackle and fish very slow. When I go out on the lake with my friend we are targeting active fish that will hit 1/8 to 1/4 ounce two inch jigs quite well. Most of the time around the docks the fish are just using the docks and sunken brush for cover to rest and are inactive, They can be coaxed into hitting if you have the equiptment and patience. Hope this helps answer your question. ERIC

Post Thanks / Like

When we lived in the Kansas City area, I used to go to the heated docks at Melvern. It was usually pretty warm inside the warming area, so I usually fished from the adjacent docks. Seemed to be a lot of 'oldtimers' that fished almost every day and they all knew eachother, and most of them caught fish. Was not unusual to catch 15 or 20 keepers (>10") in just a few hours, but some days the fish just were not there. Some of the guys there would have rods set out fishing for catfish using crappie innards/ribs and did pretty good even in the cold water. In late winter they would use the crappied sacs/eggs for bait and did even better...don't think that is legal even in Kansas. I had a 65 mile drive to the docks, so sometimes I would call ahead just to see if the crappie were active. They were either on or off. Did not like to use minnows there and seemed that the smaller the jig and lighter the line the more luck you would have. I also used to go to Pomona to their heated dock, but Melvern seemed to produce better.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck