Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minnesota ice fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnesota ice fishing

well i made it out on my birthday for opener of pike spearing, i seen 3 fish only got 1. the other 2 were bigger in the 10lb range but wouldn't come in the hole at all. they are real freaked out on how bright it is without any snow on the ice. even a bird flying over scared them off. here are a few pics of my ay out.
    the first pic is of the fish i got only 3lbs but good eating.

the second pic is of the houses from shore, i need to get back behind the point you see in the pic to get the bigger ones, but it's been to windy.

the 3rd pic is of my decoy in 8 feet of water, if you look the water is real clear and can see the bottom.

hope you all enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck Spearing pike?You need to tell more this sounds fun.I have never heard of it.Do they come up to the bottom of the hole close enough that you could use a bow?Now that would be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pike spearing

Pike spearing is a major event in our area. Most of the lakes around here that have pike allow spearing. Yes they do come close enough to spear. I have seen them as close as just under the ice and as for down as thirty feet. We are usually in 10 - 16 feet of water with our decoy placed about five feet under the surface, depending on water clarity. We use live suckers on a pin as a decoy but a lot of people use wooden, hand painted decoys. Spears are solid steel with anywhere from 5 - 10 prongs about 1 - 2 1/2 inches apart and weighing 10 - 20 pounds. Just wait for them to stop in your hole and drop the spear on their back about two inches behind their head. If you are ever in the Northern Michigan area stop by Jays Sporting Goods in Clare and look me up. I would be glad to take someone on their first pike spearing adventure.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

here are a few pics that i have.

hope you enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a blast to do.Slabsrus i dont get up that way much but if i ever do during ice on i will take ya up on the offer thanks.:D
    North star the pics were great thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

ah, good ol' Ice hunting. Biggest pike are out in the winter. Biggest northern I've caught on hook line is only 18#, I' have 5 fish over 20# spearing with the biggest being 29# Most of the Abandoned mine pits on Minnesota's Iron Range are loaded with big pike.

Post Thanks / Like

haven't been up there for a while, but i use to fish the mine pits by crosby-irorton area. lots of big fish up that way, twin lakes out on the kyuna iron range is awsume for spearing and crappies.

Post Thanks / Like

got these fish yesterday (12-08-06) was a good day but a little slow. the ice was banging away as soon as the temps hit about 35 yesterday, and with no snow on the ice the fish are real spooked for as bright as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

i should add that this was in 8 feet of water, and you can see the bottom and how bright it is. even being ing the prime spot is slow, but when they come in they just slam the decoy. gives ya a little jump start to the heart when they do that.

knoppers Guest

was fishing for northerns, and the one northern that came in, was more interested in my underwater camera, since the camera is a big bluegill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast