Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slabs

A question for the pros. What is the best way to keep fish alive when fishing a tourney using only your Livewell? I have NO luck at this. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Don't keep more fish in a tournament than you need to weigh, plus a couple for safety sake. Turn the auto fill on as soon as you put fish in the well. The fish come out of 85 degree water, they will survive, just keep it circulated and aerated through the entire day of fishing. Even after best efforts you can nick a gill or something else to cause a fish to die. We have all lost a fish at the worst time in a tournament. Usually if one dies it will be your biggest. Good luck
    Likes that1otherdude LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I keep them cool with a cooling system I made that recirculates the livewell water through a ice filled cooling system. and I use rejuvenate added to the water
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

what hogster said, I don't fish tournaments, but I use to keep fish alive to bring home and put in the pond, I ran some plastic tubing through a cooler filled with ice jugs and water, pumped the live well water through the tube, back into the live well, which was a 55 gallon barrel cut down, cooled the water and added oxygen to the water. and remember to fill your live well up as soon as you get in the water. and turn on the reculator if so equipped , if not then start the cooling system. luck to you

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good article from the pros at Crappie Masters Crappie Masters - The Care and Maintenance of Crappie in the Livewell
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thick wall gatoraid bottles filled with water and frozen. Use these with a recirculation aerator to keep the water between 70 & 75 ....G2G
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Are crappie caught in tournaments released back into the lake? If not what is done with them? Are fish safe to eat if you use products like rejuvenade in your livewell?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, ate, and yes.
    Let me clarify thats "sometimes", CUSA, CrappieMasters and pretty much any other large tournament circuit do their best to release as many of the weighed-in fish back. Smaller tourneys most of the time don't have the resources to have a tank and all to do this with, anglers can keep their catch or give them to another angler, they are wasted that's for sure.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925