Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinion on rods

So I'm getting ready to purchase an rod for crappie fishing (mostly bank fishing under floats, casting small jigs and maybe jigging around some brush) and I think I've narrowed it down to two. It's going to be an ultralight, fast action, 7ft rod. I've pretty much decided to pair up a Pflueger President series reel with it. I've narrowed it down to two different rods right now:

Either a Gander Mountain Guide Series or a Shakespeare Agility. Has anyone used either of them before? Is one better than the other? I believe the Gander one is IM6 and the Shakespeare is IM8, and it lists being able to cast a 1/32 oz jig (the Gander one is only listed to 1/16 but I'm guessing it would work fine with 1/32).

So has anyone used either or both? Is one better in your opinion than another?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using a float the rod is not as big a deal. Would go with the one that feels better in your hands
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shakespeare Ultralight Gx2 is great affordable combo. I love mine. It was 39.99 at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

For float fishing it probably does not matter. longer rod will at most times give better distance. But for bank fishing you need enough backbone to keep them out of the trees and brush and an UL may fall short in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my rod is medium! 6'6 really smooth and good looking combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Well im hoping to not always be fishing from the shore. Ive got a 6ft medium and its noticable that it cant cast lighter jigs very far.

Im not always going to be float fishing all the time, just one of my approaches. Id also be doing cast and retrieve with jigs, roadrunners, spoons, etc. I figured an ultralight would give me better distance as well as a better feel the thumps that i may be missing with my medium action . I also wanted something longer to give me a little better jigging opportunity around brush (if that works best for me i can always get a longer jigging pole)

Post Thanks / Like

You're gonna enjoy the 7 footer for casting light jigs. I agree with lowe that feel should be your deciding factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Guide Series and a 7' BnM Sams SS, I would put them in the same category and enjoy using them both. With a good reel, they will whip a 1/16 oz jig with ease.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the B n' M Sam Heaton's Super Sensitive series. I have two of the 7 footers for casting jigs. Can't be beat. Very cost effective as well. And B n' M stands behind their equipment. Great jig rods too, with plenty of back bone. Perfect for use with 1/16 oz. jigs - in my opinion!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite Graphite are hard to beat when they are on sale.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast