Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Fish Attractants

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Other Fish Attractants

JUST THOUGHT I'D ASK IF ANYONE USES ANY TYPE OF ATTRACTANT OTHER THAN THE KIND YOU SLIDE ON THE HOOK OR INJECT INTO THE TUBES.
    saw a bass fisherman spraying stuff on his spinnerbait. playing dumb i asked what it was. (course all us crappie dodgers are dumb to a bass fisherman) he patiently explained that this stuff covered up the human smell or taste and actually worked as an attractant. WOWeeeeee. will wonders ever cease

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY ..

Post Thanks / Like

The garlic scent on the slab buster jigs seems to be working for me.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing...I spray some sort of garlic spray on my bass lures as well.It does cover up any human/animal scents that might turn a fish off.I always found garlic to work best.

not sure if that was a diss to the bass fishermens,but i'm one of them. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

HEY BUGS. BEEN SITTING HERE LISTENING TO Allison K, Ricky Skegs, etc. and making some of the Mississippi's Finest Jigs for Bee. KINDA BORING DAY. LOL

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Cod liver oil works pretty good and is cheaper than the commercial sprays. Just dip your jig in it and it'll last for a while before having to redip.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    Cod liver oil works pretty good and is cheaper than the commercial sprays. Just dip your jig in it and it'll last for a while before having to redip.
    I've been using Cod Liver Oil for several years and it seems to help when they are finicky. You can purchase it at any pharmacy in either gel cap form or liquid in a bottle. I have an 8-ounce bottle in the fridge (to keep it from spoiling because it takes several years to use it up) and it cost $5 several years ago.

It not only adds a strong fish smell but also changes the feel - makes a hair jig slimy like a fish. I keep it in an old Nasal Spray bottle and just put a couple drops on my jig. An Eye Drop bottle also works well. I have used the gel caps before and just poked a tiny hole in one end with a hook and then squeezed it gently to get a couple drops out. One gel cap will last for many appications.

Cod Liver Oil will last for an hour or more on hair jigs without reapplying. Not sure how long it would last on tube jigs but quite a while I'm sure.

At one time I had a PVC cap mounted on the edge of my front deck with Cod Liver Oil in it to dip my jigs in but it got a bit messy. Once it dries on your boat, or graphs or GPS it's very difficult to remove. Right Weezer?
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried cod liver oil...very intresting....

Post Thanks / Like

Cod liver oil works very good for an attractant. But if you get it on your boat, be prepaired to scrub for a while to get it off. And when it's hot outside, it can get pretty nasty. Gummy and gooy.
    I got beat pretty bad one time by some one using cod liver oil. Right Jerry???
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

YUM works for me at the pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Cod liver oil works very good for an attractant. But if you get it on your boat, be prepaired to scrub for a while to get it off. And when it's hot outside, it can get pretty nasty. Gummy and gooy.
    I got beat pretty bad one time by some one using cod liver oil. Right Jerry???
    Nah, you didn't get beat THAT bad - at least you caught some dinks! I sure wish you woulda been listening when I told you not to get it everywhere and that if you did spill some that and let it dry it would take Bar-Sol automotive parts cleaning solvent and a lot of elbow grease to get it off!

My boat has a hatch in the front deck intended for anchor storage. I don't carry an anchor so I fixed it into a wet storage area - a place for buoy markers and tie-up ropes. I also keep my Afrin bottle of Cod Liver Oil in that compartment and hold my jig over it when applying the Cod Liver Oil. I noticed the other day that the bottom side of the hatch lid has some on it and it's pretty nasty looking. But that's better than getting all over my deck.

I spilled some one time and cleaned it up with a towel that ended up in the wash. My wife claimed that the next several loads of laundry all smelled like fish! I thought they smelled better than that perfumey fabric softener crap she uses.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast