Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A question about Crappie Bites.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question about Crappie Bites.

I was vertical fishing yesterday (now granted it was a very slow day and I only caught 10 crappie) and decided to put a crappie bite on my jig. I had two bites and missed them both. This made me wonder if having the crappie bite on the jig was the problem. Is there a certain way to put the crappie bite on to ensure that your hook will get a good set and that it will not interfere with this?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

BREAM(brim) aka bluegill just love'em. i get a lot of hits without setting the hook, and i suspect bream hit the crappie nibble itself. i use'em a lot on hair jigs , so the nibble is exposed somewhat.lol

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Someone here on the forum (slab hunter) sells a bait pump to inject the crappie nibbles into the tube jigs, seems like he has a lot of satisfied customers.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Ton Of Satisfied Customers!

Here is the site.

www.thebaitpump.com
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I was vertical fishing yesterday (now granted it was a very slow day and I only caught 10 crappie) and decided to put a crappie bite on my jig. I had two bites and missed them both. This made me wonder if having the crappie bite on the jig was the problem. Is there a certain way to put the crappie bite on to ensure that your hook will get a good set and that it will not interfere with this?
    My experience is that when you get a nibble then a missed fish it's a gill or a small yellow perch stealing the goods. Crappie inhale their pray and don't tend to nibble. When it happens to much I either drop a small minnow down or worm and see what it is. If it's small gills I go up a jig size to catch the crappie's attention. Usually happens when I jig fish bridges this time of year.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like I might need to go get some and try them out.
    I've been using Berkley earthworm and putting a little piece on the hook with my little tubejig and it's deadly. But, these crappie bites and putting them in the tubes sounds like a flavor saver. :D
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie nibbles seem to get the fish to hold onto the plastic a little longer allowing the hookset. The only problem I have had with them is keeping them on the hook. Seems like when they get wet they loosen up and fall off. I have one of the bait pumps mentioned in a previous post. The syringe thing will get you through, but they seem hard to push the nibbles through and when it bypasses the rubber on the syringe you have a mess. The bait pump has an O-ring in it and has fine threads, grips, and super easy to use. If you read some of the post about them, seems like everyone that uses them like it.

You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bait pump and it seems to help me. I really like the ease of putting it in my tubes.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try opening up the gap on the hook just a bit with some little plyers. Might get a better hook set! Seems to help me sometimes! Goodluck!