Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric bread/carving knife vs electric fillet knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric bread/carving knife vs electric fillet knife

I'm pretty slow to catch on sometimes. This morning I started to clean yesterday's crappie that were kept on ice overnight. After sharpening my fillet knife I thought, maybe I ought to try our electric carving knife. What a difference it made! It made short order of 30 crappie. My question is, how much easier could electric fillet knives possibly be?

Post Thanks / Like

None! Just harder on your wallet. All I have used for years and years on saltwater fish and bass. I like a filet knife for crappie, bream and flounder though. Tried the berkley brand for a while and went back to the standard when it burnt up. Have not tried the American Angler ones though.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried them all like my rapala , it fits your hand best and I don't cramp up, the American angler is bulky and will were your hand out in short order, I been using the same rapala for 4 years . I also have an old Hamilton beach electric carving knife that works good too. Haven't used it since I got the rapala
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

or you could check around and see if you can find filet blades for the knife you have.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

The carving knife we have is an old Black and Decker. It has a 6" blades with a bit of a rounded point and 8" blades. The biggest issue I have with it is that I have to use my index finger to push and hold a safety button awkwardly before it will operate. But it doesn't really fatigue my hand, wrist or arm. So its not ideal but a lot easier than using my regular fillet knives. If I were to buy a fish fillet knife, I would want it to stay on, be light weight and have a long cord that doesn't get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    If I were to buy a fish fillet knife, I would want it to stay on, be light weight and have a long cord that doesn't get in the way.
    I took a tip from about taping the trigger down on a Mister Twister electric fillet knife to keep running. Worked fine for a little while, then got very hot. Wouldn't recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

got a new heavy duty rapala and used it today, worked great, 5 times better than my rechargeable one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I took a tip from about taping the trigger down on a Mister Twister electric fillet knife to keep running. Worked fine for a little while, then got very hot. Wouldn't recommend it.
    also could be VERY dangerous
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    You used to be able to do that with a Mister Twister and it only got warm!!! NOT ANY MORE! The new ones just ain't the same.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyjohn View Post
    You used to be able to do that with a Mister Twister and it only got warm!!! NOT ANY MORE! The new ones just ain't the same.
    Is there some kind of grease we can use that will help cut down the heat the unit is producing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast