Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Visibility and Water Color

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Visibility and Water Color

I'm very curious about this as we fish a variety of water colors, from muddy to very clear. We catch crappie regularly from different waters. What amazes me is that water color doesn't really play an important factor - for us anyway, up here in the Northeast.

Example: yesterday we caught a lot of crappie in what I would called "stained" water. A tannic brownish water with a visibility of around 3' - 4' max.. We caught quite a few - 73 both crappie & gills mixed. And this was drifting very fast with 10 - 20 mph winds.

Another example: Today, just to kill an hour or two, I hit a local pond from shore. Water there is VERY stained to what I'd almost consider muddy. I was casting 1/16 oz. jig head with a clear patterned straight tail plastic. I caught 22 crappie and one pickeral!

I'm wondering if crappie have X-ray vision or something? What are your experiences?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure but I fish in muddy to very stained water most all of the time. I’ve been amazed to catch fish in water that looked like chocolate milk. You could not see a jig in 2 inches of water. I almost always use dark color jigs, not sure if that helps.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

most fish go by vibration it would be like a sonic sonar is they can feel vibration quite a ways away.?

www.bobsjigs.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob is correct .... the lateral lines on fish can detect "vibrations" (water pressure waves), which tells them direction and "size" (the greater the pressure wave, the bigger the object, so they can distinguish between predator & prey). And, yes, it is sort of like "x-ray vision".

We also have to realize that fish can see much further underwater, in murky conditions, than we can ... due to the rods/cones makeup of their eyes. They can also see better/clearer in cool/cold water than in warmer waters.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

These guys are spot on. I think in clear water they rely on their eyes more. In muddy water they rely on the lateral line. This is why the right vibration can be more important than color in darker water and color is more important in clear water.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the vibration theory as well. I fish stained to muddy lakes and farm ponds in Iowa that carry high silt loads. I have very good luck on pearl colored arkie jigs with twin twister tails. The added vibration and neutral color seem to be the ticket. Outside of these i typically do better with darker colored jigs in these waters as well.

After reading the slider jig post I am going to get some of those slider heads for fishing deep structure with the arkies and other jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Then the question begs, is color a factor at all, or is it just what we like to "think" it is? I have many plastics of various designs and color pattern. I'm thinking that I may just be kidding myself!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Then the question begs, is color a factor at all, or is it just what we like to "think" it is? I have many plastics of various designs and color pattern. I'm thinking that I may just be kidding myself!
    IMO, absolutely. I fish from mid November til mid March, most of the time I'm fishing in 18-22 fow. I have about four colors that produce 95% of the fish I catch. I do sometimes go with someone else in late March - early April and use a bunch of different colors.

Post Thanks / Like

agreed with the vibration/feel theory above here too. i fish a muddy river/res. all the time. i dont see a big difference in color most days. i have success with orange black green white yellow.......... i think its more of a "getting the jig in their face" deal. if they are hungry and a small object passes close to them, they hit it. could even be literally a leaf on a hook. they have a strike window and the size changes with mood and weather. some days you have to hold it still to get bit. other days they make a wake from a couple feet away to hit it. all that being said, rattles jigs anyone? lol

lets not forget scent either. i have seen it make a huge difference! thats why i always use scented plastics or some juice. why do they even make those plastics that dont have scent? they smell like a new pool toy for god sakes. Geeeshhh

good question, crestliner

Post Thanks / Like

The whole color debate adds a lot of frustration. You read and hear about hot baits and colors and how jigs can (and do) outfish live bait in some situations. However, for me in practice i have a couple jigs i am successful with, but a lively minnow under a slip float over structure is still tops most days for numbers and consistency. My Dad always said lures catch more fishermen than fish...

There is a small tube jig with a dark green and pepper speck body and yellow tail that destroys the crappies and gills in area farm ponds. In fact in spring it outfishes everything else 5:1. However, I've never gotten a bite with it on any if the lakes i fish. I am sure it is related to a concentrated pond environment prey item that is less numerous along the manicured and rip rapped shores of the lakes. Just not sure what it is, and this scenario and figuring out the mystery is what makes the fishing so discouraging AND rewarding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast