Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Extending Trolling motor cable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extending Trolling motor cable.

HELLO,

How are you today? I need your advice on rigging please. What I have is 2 MINN KOTA Endura C2 30 trolling motors. What I need to do is extend the cable length on each of them 8 feet. They will run off of their own independent batteries, one mounted on each side of boat. I searched my specifics on youtube, Minn Kota, etc. and just would think there would be simpler explanations.

They started talking awg, fuse, ring terminals, amp, holey krikey.

I sat behind a desk too long...

Please advise, thank you so much.

Best Regards,

SNA2STL

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. In the electrical dept they should have a roll of # 6 or #8 wire that is a black and red. Same as tour motor is wired with. Get 2 8 ft sections. Take plug off each one. Splice the new wire to old wire preferably by soldering them together. If not get proper size wire crimp on connectors. Someone in electrical dept should be able to help. Then install plug or ring eyes on other end to connect to battery. If your motors already have ring eyes or clamps you can skip that part. Size 8 if that's what they have is plenty big for the motors you have.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes. In the electrical dept they should have a roll of # 6 or #8 wire that is a black and red. Same as tour motor is wired with. Get 2 8 ft sections. Take plug off each one. Splice the new wire to old wire preferably by soldering them together. If not get proper size wire crimp on connectors. Someone in electrical dept should be able to help. Then install plug or ring eyes on other end to connect to battery. If your motors already have ring eyes or clamps you can skip that part. Size 8 if that's what they have is plenty big for the motors you have.

I can do that Chief!!! Minn Kota says I should have an inline 50 amp fuse or circuit breaker, what say you sir? BTW, thank you, from an old CATCC ATC, go NAVY!!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use one. You can get a simple 50 amp auto reset from Walmart in there boating section. You would need 4 ring eyes to fit the breaker studs that are big enough to fit the wire you are using. Just cut your battery end of wire about 8 in long, strip both ends, put smattering ring eye one one end and bigger eye to fit battery stud on the other. Then another small eye on end from breaker to motor. Protects motor and boat and you from any chance of wire shorting and starting a fire. Sounds like a lot of stuff to do but really simple and quick once you start. Hardest part is rounding up everything to do the job.

Thank you for Your Service Chief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I would use one. You can get a simple 50 amp auto reset from Walmart in there boating section. You would need 4 ring eyes to fit the breaker studs that are big enough to fit the wire you are using. Just cut your battery end of wire about 8 in long, strip both ends, put smattering ring eye one one end and bigger eye to fit battery stud on the other. Then another small eye on end from breaker to motor. Protects motor and boat and you from any chance of wire shorting and starting a fire. Sounds like a lot of stuff to do but really simple and quick once you start. Hardest part is rounding up everything to do the job.

Thank you for Your Service Chief.
    Wilco. I seen this on youtube, it has a bracket that connects breaker directly to battery trerminal, what say you Chief?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNA2STL View Post
    Wilco. I seen this on youtube, it has a bracket that connects breaker directly to battery trerminal, what say you Chief?

All I got was a blue question mark. But I have seen that type and it would work just fine. I just don't know off the top of my head where to find one.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, tomorrow I try finding supplies....