Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RoadRunner

Post Thanks / Like

Default RoadRunner

I am very new to the fishing sport. I really enjoy it! What is the proper way to use the roadrunners. I strickly bank fish. No access to any boats. Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Greg_Mathis; 08-27-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add picture

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if there is a wrong way to use it. Put a plastic on it and put it in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of lure would you put on it?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg ... according to the "advertisement", you can't fish them wrong ... as long as you fish them slow.

Now, taking out the obvious PR hype in that statement ... I'm a believer that you CAN fish them too slow. Once you slow the retrieve down to a certain point, the blade stops spinning and tucks itself under the body or just "flutters", rather than spins. At that point, IMHO, you're not really using a "Roadrunner" ... but, just a jig. Now, that may be a harsh assessment ... but, that's my opinion on the matter.

I've seen people catch Crappie "vertical jigging" with Roadrunners, but I've caught them in the same area by using regular jigs (jig head with plastic body) ... so I'm not convinced that's the optimum method for this bait.

What I do consider the "optimum method" for this bait, is to cast it & then retrieve it at a steady pace at moderate speeds. If you need depth, you let the bait sink (countdown method) prior to retrieving ... assuming a fall rate of about 1ft per second, for a 1/16oz bait on 4-6lb test mono. You cover an area of water by direction & depth ... covering an area by direction simply means using half a clock face implied over the area & starting at one side (say 9 o:clock) and casting towards each hour until you get to the opposite side (3 o:clock) ... covering an area by depth simply means letting the bait sink 1 second longer than on the previous cast, thus covering the depths from surface to bottom. This can be used in conjunction with the "direction", either by covering depth from surface to bottom at each "hour", or sequencing the 1sec fall delay back & forth over the area. This is known as "broadcast" casting, plus the addition of the countdown method (to cover depth ranges, while the broadcast method covers area).

Running a Roadrunner close to or over wood/weed cover is likely to get you bit. Casting around boat docks/piers (with relatively deep water) is also likely to get you bit. Very early in the AM, just before dark, and even after dark (around docks with lights shining down into the water) are going to be your prime times ... if fishing from the bank. Spring spawning time is prime time, simply because the fish are going to be "next to" the bank, then, more so than most other times of the year (& especially during the midday period). But, even in the Winter months, you can find them close to the bank ... if the bank is steep & drops off to 15-20ft deep within a short distance, AND has a downed tree running out into those depths (or a brushpile, or standing timber within casting distance).

Take that pink Roadrunner head & put on a pink plastic shad stinger type body ... or chartreuse plastic body ... and get out there & start slinging it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wow nice information! What about being on an pier? I am from Tennessee. So freshwater all we have. I caught a few crappies, I think by luck. Lol... Caught them on crickets to say the least.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    Wow nice information! What about being on an pier? I am from Tennessee. So freshwater all we have. I caught a few crappies, I think by luck. Lol... Caught them on crickets to say the least.
    If you're talking about a "pier" ... as in a stationary walkway ...

I'd work the pier as though it were a dock. It offers shade (ambush) and cooler water temps (comfort) ... which are prime factors to fish. It may also have algae growth, which is sometimes eaten by baitfish species, so it may also offer a food source ... another prime factor.

The depth of the water below the pier will dictate whether or not the fish will be there ... and when they're likely to be there. Any cover that has been placed there, or washed in & lodged there, will be a spot to give greater consideration than the "empty" areas around/under the pier.

... cp
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    If you're talking about a "pier" ... as in a stationary walkway ...

I'd work the pier as though it were a dock. It offers shade (ambush) and cooler water temps (comfort) ... which are prime factors to fish. It may also have algae growth, which is sometimes eaten by baitfish species, so it may also offer a food source ... another prime factor.

The depth of the water below the pier will dictate whether or not the fish will be there ... and when they're likely to be there. Any cover that has been placed there, or washed in & lodged there, will be a spot to give greater consideration than the "empty" areas around/under the pier.

... cp
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409196545877.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  37.4 KB

Slab I caught off cricket near the dock. Maybe I just got lucky. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think this type of shad would work?
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409197697745.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  19.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Also is any particular season to fish for crappies or this type of weather is fine?

Post Thanks / Like

That shad stinger body is fine & should look good with the pink Roadrunner jighead.

While this time of year is generally "slow", due to the water temps being high, the fish still eat. As the water temps drop, they will eat more often. Hopefully, the water levels at your lake won't be dropped down to Winter Pool for another month or two, giving you time to try out your Roadrunners.

... cp

Oh, by the way ... there's always a little "luck" involved when you're fishing, whether you're using live bait or artificial. You have to put it in the right place, at the right time, at the right depth, and moving at the right speed (that the fish want at that particular time) ... or you're just "fishing" and not "catching".
    Likes Greg_Mathis, humblerev1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast