Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor footpedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor footpedal

My morning started out having to work on my trolling motor yesterday. Luckily I had a Leatherman's knife. It worked when I put my switch on continuous. I had to remove the switch so I could file off the corrosion on the leads and switch. It was corroded like a battery does on your vehecle.
    Its kinda hard to work with 10/32 bolts and nuts on the lake without the proper tools.

I just thought I would give a heads up to you men. You might want to look at yours before you hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Bet that was fun.
    I had to work on mine last winter. 29 degrees and 10 MPH north winds it was no fun.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the lake thursday and fished all day, I went to pull my trolling motor out of the water,when i pulled the rope nothing happened. It wouldnt release! The side pins were stuck and I couldn't get them to release. I couldn't get to them with my fingers, so I searched the boat looking for something small enough to get to them, finally ended up using a fillet knife to get the pins to release. I still havent figured out what caused them to stick like that. I put the trolling motor back down when i got home, and they stuck again! This is aggravating! Any suggestions?

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

putin my money on you Rusty---your tough
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvfishin
    I went to the lake thursday and fished all day, I went to pull my trolling motor out of the water,when i pulled the rope nothing happened. It wouldnt release! The side pins were stuck and I couldn't get them to release. I couldn't get to them with my fingers, so I searched the boat looking for something small enough to get to them, finally ended up using a fillet knife to get the pins to release. I still havent figured out what caused them to stick like that. I put the trolling motor back down when i got home, and they stuck again! This is aggravating! Any suggestions?
    Unless something has been bent or damaged in some way it probably just needs lubrication. I lube the locking pins and all the moving parts on my TM bracket/mount with "3 in 1" oil - seems to stay on longer than WD 40.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was forever pulling the leads loose inside the head of my tiller type motor. A couple of tie wraps to the shaft cured that. It was so simple I felt stupid for not doing it sooner.

I also added a foot switch (button type). That sure has freed up my hands to do other stuff. Now I don't have to reach up the the handel and give it a twist every time I want to go. It wires into the neg wire of the motor.
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Unless something has been bent or damaged in some way it probably just needs lubrication. I lube the locking pins and all the moving parts on my TM bracket/mount with "3 in 1" oil - seems to stay on longer than WD 40.
    I use white lithium grease.

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that you sure need to be able to pick the T/M up. I got in the habit of using the big motor to make quick moves with it still down. STUMP, BIG STUMP, twisted Minn Kota slam off the front the boat. Popped up right beside me at the console, so I grabbed it , but all the wiring and foot pedal sort of hung her up between the boat and stump. Ended up saving it, but my buddies said she looked like a dead man laying on the back of the boat. Finished the day with one of them there paddles to control my drifts, major suckage.