Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how accurate is the new GPS technology

Post Thanks / Like

Default how accurate is the new GPS technology

Interested in buying a new GPS system and thinking about the Garmin 301 but just how accurate is the new GPS technology. I have one of the first Lawrence Global map 2000 units that came out and I am lucky to get with in 50 ft of a marked way-point. Is there anything any more accurate than he Garmin 301?
    Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the WAAS enabled GPS units will be much more accurate than the older ones without it. I would recommend the Garmin Map 76. It has a larger screen than the Geko and Etrex series, which I've had both of and they are just as accurate but the screens are small. You can get a new Map 76 off the Internet for under $200. Discount GPS has lowered their price again - http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi. Be sure and click on "Click for Your Price" - $170 including a data cable and shipping.

You need the data cable so you can back-up your waypoints on your computer and you'll want a power cord/adapter because they do like to eat batteries. You can get cables at very reasonable prices from - http://stores.ebay.com/RNRPLACE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waas

WAAS satalite is just 1 satalite, which makes it very accurate. Here in Ohio it is rare to pick it up on my Garmin. I can get to within 15 ft of the same brush pile without it. Then just locate it with your sonar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64
    WAAS satalite is just 1 satalite, which makes it very accurate. Here in Ohio it is rare to pick it up on my Garmin. I can get to within 15 ft of the same brush pile without it. Then just locate it with your sonar.
    What Garmin GPS do you have? How can you tell you're not getting a signal from a WAAS satellite? If you're getting within 15-feet you must be getting some WAAS signal. Since the WAAS satellites are over the equator the signal is weaker and harder to pick up the farther north you go because of distance, curvature of the earth and more potential for interference but you should at least get a partial signal in Ohio I would think.

For some reason all the Garmin GPS units I’ve dealt with come with the WAAS feature disabled so it needs to be enabled to receive WAAS signals. Resetting to “Default Settings” on these receivers will disable the WAAS feature.

Also, if you don’t use your GPS for several months or travel more than a couple hundred miles you need to “Initialize” it again to make sure it is acquiring all the available satellites.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Like the thread started I'm interested to know how close you can get to a marked point. Any answers?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I can get with in just a couple feet most every time. I have a Lowrance 332c and also a Garmin 178.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Map76 here. Usually four to six feet which is close enough. BUT, at times it has been cussed at for not "dialing in" or updating. I have been having trouble lately on one particular lake with it not "dialing in" to more than 25 feet. I should have paid more attention in that triangulation class years ago. I talked to one guy from here while I was on the water griping about it dialing in and he said he was having the same problems the other day. Overall, I am really happy with the Map76.

Post Thanks / Like

The WAAS system was originally put into place for aircraft. Lowrance told me that if I was receiving the signal consider myself lucky. I was told by them that most of the U.S. signal was coming from a tower in Brazil. A plane at altitude would have no problem receiving the signal, but a boat was no promise. Anyhow my 332's will get within 15-25 feet most of the time ,best I can tell. They seem to be a whole lot more accurate on plane due to the movement of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to be a whole lot more accurate on plane due to the movement of the boat.

Any GPS unit is more accurate the faster you are traveling...just the nature of the technology.

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to get our most accurate saved waypoints when we are moving over the condo at about 1 mph. If you don't find a condo right away it's best to back off a ways and come back over it moving in one direction. If you keep moving back and forth from side to side or forward and backward it's hard for the GPS to accurately track your position.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast