Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floating Sein net on KY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating Sein net on KY

Can anybody tell me anything about these? Ran 6 crankbaits into one on KY lake this weekend, and discovered a 80 yard long net by 10' deep hanging off 6-7 jugs. The net was made up of a high lb fishing line that had approximately 4" x 4" holes in it. I thought the jugs were normal catfish just or I would have avoided it all together. The jugs were labeled and had a name and phone number. It looked like there was 3 or 4 sets of these. Does anybody know what these are for or if they are even legal?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a gill net.
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would contact KY F&W with the name and address that was on the nets. They can tell you if there are Asian carp nets allowed in the lake at this time. I don't think there would be any other reason for those to legally be in the lake right now.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What you found is illegal. Sport fisherman are allowed to use Dip Nets and Cast Nets but not floating nets, and commercial fisherman must follow KAR 1:155 which states:
    Note - I highlighted some in RED

Section 4. Tagging and Using Commercial Gear. A commercial fisherman shall:
    (1) Tag commercial fishing gear pursuant to 301 KAR 1:146;
    (2) Not use commercial fishing gear within:
    (a)1. Fifty (50) yards of the outlet or inlet of an overflow lake; or
    2. Fifty (50) yards of the mouth of a stream except the mouth of the Ohio River; and
    (b) 200 yards of a dam, as established in KRS 150.445;
    (3) Not use commercial nets from April 1 through October 31:
    (a) In bays and inlets of Kentucky or Barkley Lakes; or
    (b) Within a distance of 200 yards from the mouth of bays or inlets in Kentucky or Barkley Lakes; and
    (4) Call the department at 800-858-1549 within twenty-four (24) hours if any commercial gear is:
    (a) Lost;
    (b) Stolen; or
    (c) Irretrievable due to unforeseen circumstances.

And KAR 1:146 which states in part:

Section 1. Definitions.
    (2) "Commercial gear tag" means a metal tag provided by the department that is attached to legal commercial fishing gear as established in this administrative regulation.

So what you found was not tagged with the proper Commercial Gear Tag and it is between the dates specified, making it illegal.
    There may be some exemptions for the Asian Carp fisherman, but I could not find it.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't cross a jug line anytime just in case when pulling, I do cross em on plane but that may bite me one day. I try and parallel any line I see, there's a reason it is there and running along beside them usually produces some fesh.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Were you in Ky Waters or TN. Waters?
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asian Carp Harvest Program

The Dept. Of Fish and Wildlife has allowed certain commercial fishermen to fish gill and trammel nets in KY and Barkley lakes outside of the normal commercial harvest season, with the stipulation they are fishing for silver carp. We spot check them to make sure they are complying. They are allowed to fish their nets close to the surface, however the nets must be marked with enough jugs that a boat can avoid the next. Additionally the commercial angler must remain within sight of the net.

Sounds like the net was marked, but the anler was not near by.

What day were you fishing and where was the net. With that info, I can look up the angle registered to fish there, and can warn the commercial angler to comply or get a ticket.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prister View Post
    The Dept. Of Fish and Wildlife has allowed certain commercial fishermen to fish gill and trammel nets in KY and Barkley lakes outside of the normal commercial harvest season, with the stipulation they are fishing for silver carp. We spot check them to make sure they are complying. They are allowed to fish their nets close to the surface, however the nets must be marked with enough jugs that a boat can avoid the next. Additionally the commercial angler must remain within sight of the net.

Sounds like the net was marked, but the anler was not near by.

What day were you fishing and where was the net. With that info, I can look up the angle registered to fish there, and can warn the commercial angler to comply or get a ticket.
    Paul, thanks for weighing in on this.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Paul ... we really do appreciate your input & expertise in these matters. And we very much appreciate you being a member of Crappie.com !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I can provide some info. My name is Michael Flinn and I am a professor at Murray State in the Biology Dept. You can reach me by phone at 270 809 6051 or email me at mflinn(at)murraystate.edu. These are experimental gill nets that are part of an Asian carp study that has been going on at Murray State Univ. for the last year or so. We are netting Asian Carp in several areas of the lake mostly between Ledbetter and Blood River. We are examining their gut contents and determining diet selectivity with the phytoplankton in the lake and the samples collected and Hancock Biological Station on their bi-weekly cruises.

We have been experimenting with the best way to mark these nets. In the winter we didn't have many problems with boaters/fisherman as we were setting the nets relatively deep. Now that the carp have moved up shallow we are having to run them shallow. All of our nets are marked with jugs that say HBS in large letters (Hancock Biological Station) and should have a phone number on at least one jug. We also have a net tag (metal and engraved) on at least one end of the net with name and phone number.

I appreciate the fact that we just can't go setting nets however/wherever we like. The reality is that the last thing we want is to lose a net or have someone cut it up. We have a ton of money invested in the nets. My grad student walked into my office this morning and told me that one of the nets was cut in half and floating on the surface when he got to it Sunday morning. During the summer we tried to avoid weekends in hopes of decreasing possible run-ins with boaters, but now that my students are in class they mostly run nets on the weekends. They typically set them out just before sunset, run them at first light, leave them soak Saturday, run them at sunset, and then run them at first light on Sunday.

We do have research collecting permits and are not bound by the commercial fishing rules. That said, I understand that most anglers/boaters likely expect that if they see a line of jugs they are expecting a net or line that is several feet under the water. Many of our nets are 12 feet tall (deep) and several hundred feet long. When we set the nets in shallow water we typically tie them in the shallow areas so they are compressed in hopes of keeping them out of any props. We have been marking all nets with jugs that have reflective tape on them and have discussed marking the ends with larger buoys that have a tall flag on them (in hopes of increasing visibility).

I expect that with future research on the lake and much of it dealing with asian carp this type of net will become much more common. They are pretty much worthless for anything but carp as they have 5" bar at the smallest opening. We catch a few big catfish as bycatch and few buffalo, grass carp and a few gar that are likely picking at the fish in the net, but that is about it.

I'd be happy to discuss any ideas you have about ways to increase their visibility for boaters etc. I'll discuss ideas with Paul Rister as well.

Again, sorry about the cranks. I spend a lot of time on the lake (fishing for fun and research) and am just trying to figure out what these carp are going to do to the ecology of the lake.
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast