Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molds Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Molds Question

Does anyone make a mold for a jig body like the Flick Tail jig? Since they have gone out of business, as I understand it, it would be nice to come up with a way to keep those bodies available. Or, at least something that is similar or comes close. I don't know ANYTHING about working with plastics, but I am always willing to learn something new.

Thanks

GF

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

if you type in flick tail jig on Google search eBay will pop up and they have a bunch of them.

I do have a mold similar I will have to go see if I still have the mold but it is very similar to what you're wanting.?
    Last edited by snake River; 08-26-2014 at 12:22 PM.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to the Falls Flicktail baits? Oldie, but goodie if you are. I still have several cards of them in one of my many tackle satchels. Unbelievably good sunfish bait.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

CTom, yes, Falls, Flicktail baits. Does it matter which color of bait you use for sunfish? I assume we are talking bluegills, etc? Thanks

GF

Post Thanks / Like

Snake River. Do you know where I could get a mold for the Falls Flicktail-type baits? That looks like a good place for me to begin to learn about molding plastics.

Thanks

GF

Post Thanks / Like

Gill....Let me get the packages out of the closet and get an address for you. They are a Wisconsin bait and I think they are still available.

The 3 size orange was always my best sunnie color.

There is no mold that will make a bait even remotely close to the Flicktail. Every mold that makes a similar bait is going to be too large and chopping things down to size probably won't hand you with anything like the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Gill, here is some info for you.

The picture shows a card of No.3 Hotties, another Falls bait that is a solid producer. I have a number of these in the white, black and orange....and no I don't want to sell any of them. In the picture the rigged orange bait atop of the package is the flick tail and the bait has a unique cut that gives the tail its "flicking" action when jigged. The other orange bait is the hottie. Both orange baits are a size 3. Falls also made a real dynamite minnow that was about 1 1/2" long and looked amazingly life-like. Like the baits shown here in the picture, the minnow too was a killer on panfish and crappies.

Google different combinations of; Falls Bait Co., inc. Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, 54729. Sorry but I didn't search a phone number. The last time I ordered these I had to find a phone number and call it in and it was the phone number of a local bar in town. No, I am not kidding. You might do better by contacting the chamber of commerce in Chippewa Falls and asking for information about this company....maybe get a phone number from that office. If you google "Falls Hotties" you'll get several pages to pore over. Google "Falls Flicktail" and you'll get another eyeful. Add Chippewa Falls, WI to the search and you'll get even more pages. Somewhere in there you'll find information and in the event that these are no longer made, you'll likely find people who have them for sale.

These are super classic old baits and seemed to have a real local following along the Mississippi River. They were made in sizes 1,2,3 and 4 if memory serves me right. The number 2 and 3 baits were the best sizes for this angler. The size 2 was borderline too small but was a wonderful bait when down-sizing was needed. I wouldn't mind at all seeing a mold made to fill this baits niche.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Fisher View Post
    Snake River. Do you know where I could get a mold for the Falls Flicktail-type baits? That looks like a good place for me to begin to learn about molding plastics.

Thanks

GF
    Gill I would not know where to get a mold like it I have not seen anything like with the mold makers that I know this would be a custom-made mold if you want one like I told you I have one similar but probably not exact but pretty close if I get a chance I will shoot some up might do it this evening it only takes a few minutes to shoot it and I will post on here.I just went out to the shop and shop this mold here is a picture for you to look at let me know if you like it this plastic bait Is a 11/2".
    Name:  DSC_0018.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by snake River; 08-26-2014 at 08:26 PM.

www.bobsjigs.com
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The body and tail are the same length and that tail is wayyy too thick and doesn't have near the taper the flicktail has.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing about the tails on these baits is that it is absolutely flat without any sort of curl like you'd get trying to cut one of these from a tadpole type of bait. I don't know how the tails are flat given the curve at the taper but from there on out the tail flap is as flat as a pancake. And thin. Very thin. The closest I have come to creating anything even remotely similar is to cut a twister tail into a spear immediately after the tail starts at the body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast