Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Fish but mostly throw backs...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Fish but mostly throw backs...

Hey guys I was wondering if you can answer something for me.

I fish a private stocked lake and I'm aware that the weather and heat play a role in this.

But why is it that I can find crappies usually catch around 12-15 each time I go out (from shore, I don't own a boat...YET). I fish around structure, docks and piers. I have yet to be stumped (knock on wood) but why is it that 99% of the fish I catch are throw backs?

I do everything I can to change it up color, presentation, depth. Since I am a beginner crappie fisherman I don't understand why I can find fish just not decent size fish.

I would say from the beginning until now I have caught around 100 total and only 10 have been over 9"

Is there a logical reason for this?

I guess catching any fish is better than no fish

Post Thanks / Like

How big is the lake? Maybe there are to many crappies in the lake and they are stunted? We have a few lakes around here where they are stunted and it's a miracle to catch 1 over 10" but with the introduction of northern pike and Muskie the size seems to be going up just harder to find the fish now
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

probably an overcrowded condition. If the owner doesn't mind, keep the 8 inchers too. Not a lot of meat unless they are blacks and in good condition but I have eaten a lot of crappie that size and they taste reallllll gooodd!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a large lake home to northern pike, Muskie, Walleye. If I ventured to guess I would say it's not an over crowded issue. The lake is monitored by our "Fishing Club" and is located inside a gated community. We actually have three lakes.

The he club raises funds to stock and monitor the local fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an image of the size....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a private lake and it runs in cycles. One year you have to catch 10 fish to get a keeper and then you will have a year or 2 that almost every fish is a keeper. You are limited to the crappie water fishing from the bank. a majority of fishermen here wouldn't be doing as well if they was limited to bank fishing. The majority of big fish don't stay close to the banks but are around structure out in the lake at different times of the year. If there is a lot of fishing pressure the bigger fish won't stay there for very long. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

The pic is pretty fuzzy, but it looks like there are tons of docks? That type of lake is a dock shooters paradise!! Being that it is a private lake, it is possible that there is an over-population issue, in which case you can catch fish just about anywhere you drop a jig. The problem is finding QUALITY fish. They are there, but unfortunately you are not likely to get to them from the bank unless you have access to every dock on the lake. This time of year, the quality fish are going to be in the shade of those big, low docks in deeper water, say 10-20 ft. Since you are restricted to fishing from the bank, I would suggest covering as much area as you can access until you find better quality fish. Try to get up in the shade of those docks and you will find some.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The larger ones are more than likely out in the deeper open water chasing or following the shad or other bait fish
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Billbob, Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Will fishing at night when it's dark make a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast