Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky fishing bust?! what's up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky fishing bust?! what's up?

Hello all, im new to the website. I'm in the Military, I just got stationed in Owensboro Kentucky, about 2 hours west of Louisville. I was previously stationed in Tampa, Florida, new to salt water fishing so The salt water fishing was fun, but im ready to get back to fresh water. I am originally from Indiana so I'm close to home and the fishing and hunting should be fairly familiar...except it's not what I remember as a kid. When I found out I was moving to Kentucky for 3 years, I started researching places to fish/hunt/camp. Read about all the streams and lakes that are stocked with thousands of fish every year.I have been here for abotu 2 months, and I have had crap(pie) luck with fishing. I have only got 2 bluegill, literally 2 feet fromshore in a pond, and hooked a good size bass but once I got him to shore the hook came out and flopped to his rescue into the water. Where are all these streams that I see people walking in and fishing, every river/stream/lake around my area is dirty or murky at best. I'm not too impressed with the fishing so far. I dont have a boat, only shore fishing, but I have never had a problem fishing from shore. Is it just too warm here right now (been a solid 85-90 lately). I've used everything from live bait, spinners, buzzbaits, worms, cranbaits, you name it they've gotten wet. Every place I have ever been stationed at, I try and find "THE" place to go. any help would be greatly appreciated. Dove season is right around the corner and my lab is itchin to get out again, so should I just stop looking for spots around my area? I've heard about Kentucky lake, but from the sounds of it, its mostly a boat fishing only, not many places to fish from the shore. sorry for the long post, thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Likes WildmanGM2 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, welcome to the Bluegrass.

You should look into the tailwater areas of any of the dams along any of the major rivers in the state. Most are set up well for fishing off the banks and you can expect to catch a multitude of different species there. I would take spinning gear with 6-8 pound test line, a hand full of 1/16 to 1/4 jig heads and some curly tail jig bodies in shad or bright colors. Work the rocky areas of the tailwaters and be sure to carry a stringer or bucket to keep your catch in.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes WildmanGM2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the information guys, I know I've only been here a very short time so I should'nt be this frustrated but fishing on the shore and walking for m iles in a day just to catch a bunch of spider webs in the face gets old, ill definetely keep looking for the spot!

Post Thanks / Like

Born and live in Alabama, But I lived in Owensboro. For about 20 years. Up the road in Hawsville you have Clover creek runs in to the river there good place to fish, up the road you have rough river from the tail race down they stock it with rainbow. good place to fish then you have the Ohio river it can be really good at times. Just meet people and strike up a conversion and you might get invited to go a lot of guys up there fish. But don't forget the Duck hunting, it is some of the best. and by all means go to Old Hickory BBQ it is the best and eat some for me. Good luck on your new adventure. By the way are you in the Coast Guard.
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks CrappieFlopper, I try and find a bait shop around and talk to some folks. not too picky on the fish I catch right now, since im not cathing any haha. yea I'm in the Coast Guard. I'll be here for 3 years minimum. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum!!!!!! I was in the coast guard....67-71...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for you service and welcome. Can't help in Kentucky but you ever get to alabama I'll take care of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Kentucky, the Forum, and most important .. Thank you for your service!!!

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hollar at wiskers
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast