Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kayaks for senoirs

Post Thanks / Like

Default kayaks for senoirs

At 60 yrs old and quite chunky are the kayaks hard to get into/out of and do you get wet every time or is there a learning curve? Oh yeah, 3 back surgerys make me a little stiff. Have a few places the Yaks would be so sweet to fish. I'm gonna rent one a few times before I buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a sit on top, not a sit in. I thought just the opposite and bought a sit in for my grandkids. They have no problem but I can't get in and out very good. The sit on top would be much easier for me. Looking at this one: Ascend® FS12T Sit-On-Top Angler Kayak - Desert Storm | Bass Pro Shops
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes dbeam, RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yup SOT (sit on top) are easy to get in and out. However they tend to be heavier than a solo canoe or SINK (sit in kayak). So consider how you are transporting them to and from the water. Jackson Kayak, Wilderness System, Native, FeelFree, NuCanoe, Hobie, Old Town, Ocean Kayak, and many more brands.

Try to find a dealer that allows in water demos, as testing is the best way to find out what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

So many options to make it comfy. Have had both elbows and shoulders operated
    on and got a bad back............but the little hauler makes it so much easier to load
    and unload and launch. Limited only by our imaginations. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes gone_fishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Where at in Florida are you? If your anywhere near me I would be happy to meet ya and let ya test ride mine. I know Travel Country has demos every Saturday, Mosquito Creek has demo days, the kayak shop on US1 between New Smyrna and Daytona has demo days. Most of the rental kayaks will give you a bad impression as they usually have the cheapest seats or no seats and very generic paddles that are usually too short. There is a bunch of good kayak shops in Florida and most have demo days.
    Likes bfish, dbeam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My son is working on his seat, it's low on the back and gives him a problem with his back. He has a flap from a truck and some 1/2" heavy foam. Going to add some height to the back.

Post Thanks / Like

I am mid 60's and have been kayaking for 4 years now...usually 4 or 5 days a week except in dead of winter. I am 5' 10" and weigh 296lbs. I love it. My kayak right now is a Big Game Prowler II and the seat is in the high position most of the time. I have a kayak for the river also....a Coosa. Both of those seats are very comfortable. I use a Malone trailer to haul them around and some days will have the kayak in 3 different bodies of water. I would suggest a kayak with the so called "lawn chair type seat" or do something similar to what RetiredRR did. Both my rotator cuffs have been surgically repaired but I have no problems loading and unloading. There is some effort involved to fish out of a kayak...but it is worth it.

Regards

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agrees with all that has been said, all great info. I started with a cheap kayak, I fill in love with catching fish from it because every fish caught from it is a blast. Brings back the kid in you Having a very mess up back the first kayak wasn't good for me nor the second or third but when I put the money into my Wilderness , wow! Big difference in a kayak that has been designed for the fisherman. Try to test them before buying, it will be worth your time and you will find the right kayak that fits you.
    I now have a trailer that I haul my kayak on and there is no lifting, back into the water and push it off.

Good luck.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RM Fishin View Post
    At 60 yrs old and quite chunky are the kayaks hard to get into/out of and do you get wet every time or is there a learning curve? Oh yeah, 3 back surgerys make me a little stiff. Have a few places the Yaks would be so sweet to fish. I'm gonna rent one a few times before I buy.
    Learn to use a rescue stirrup and a paddle float for getting back into a kayak if you "turtle".... Had to use it once and made getting back in a breeze. Can't "pop" back in like my son-n-law. Always wear your PFD.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...e-Stirrup.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ddle%2520float

-danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Post Thanks / Like

The foot stirrup.......anyone make their own? Show us your photo. I believe I could make one. Might come in handy.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast