Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: telescoping crappie rod guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default telescoping crappie rod guides

Recently bought a 12' B&M little jewel telescoping jig pole and a 16' cabela telescoping jig pole.I have put reels on both.Looking for slide on guides. Called B&M and was told they don't have them anymore but bought a set on e-bay and bought a set from grizzly jig, Both sets don't have guides large enough for the 16' or small enough for the 12'. Any help or ideas in locating them? Thanks

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try Slaters
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of Slaters from Grizzly Jigs but they are too small. I e-mailed Slaters to see if they had any more sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Slater's e-mailed me back,they only sell the one set.
    NEW question,
    I want to use a reel on the 16' rod to store the line. How would you rig it ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have two BnM 13' extension poles with no guides.I bought two BnM quick change reels and mounted them 14" from the butt by taping them to the pole.i use them for line storage to resupply if I break off.Im not sure if that answers your question,but it is a handy way to have quick access to more line if need be.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    NEW question,
    I want to use a reel on the 16' rod to store the line. How would you rig it ?
    I'd use zip ties to secure the reel to the rod, then put electrical tape over them and the foot of the reel for extra security & to keep the zip tie locking head from being uncomfortable or from scratching my hand/fingers.

I have heard of people using paper clips taped on collapsible rods, as substitute guides. I would assume they would only be able to use a paper clip at the very end of each "section" ... so that the rod could still be collapsed for transport (if necessary).

If it were not necessary to collapse the rod down ... a set of guides could be glued/taped to the rod. But, if the reel is simply a "line storage" facility ... you could simply wrap the line around the rod blank a few wraps per section, then out through the tip eye. You could either make a simple overhand knot on the tip eye, or wrap a small piece of tape around the line & rod tip (just below the tip eye) to keep the tension on the tip eye of the rod ... and still be able to add line length past the rod tip.

If you're going to put a reel on a rod without guides ... you need to wrap the line around the rod blank. Guides balance the pressure of weight/pull against the length of the rod, rather than just the tip of the rod ... keeping you from putting too much weight/pressure on the tip & breaking the rod.

... cp