Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lurkers

Anyone notice the '' Lurkers '' (folks who never posts just trolling for fishing information ) ? We have folks on here that never post or maybe 2 or 3 posts in a year. When they do it is just asking where or how to fish a certain water. Guys I don't mind sharing info with a few folks but lurkers are just here to take not give anything in return. What is your feelings on this?
    On the Arkansas board we have so many lurkers , if you post about big catches there will be a crowd next time on your favorite lake. I've talked to several on the water and they did not know anyone but read about it here. Some were members but never have posted anything. Sure has cut back on all but a few of older members giving out details.
    Would it be right for folks not to post specific info like locations ? Share details only through PM ? I have sure stopped posting locations for everyone to see.
    Last edited by NIMROD; 08-16-2014 at 05:37 AM.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They are not team players, they never share info. They are only interested in what might help them and not their fellow fisherman. I've had a few of them pm me over time. This forum is about sharing info for the betterment of our sport.i think slab should charge a fee each year to offset cost and discourage the lurker s !!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

BAMA S you might have an good idea. Have it where sponsor members only can see fishing reports on seperate forum on each state. We tried something like that where you had to have 25 posts to see but some would not use it for posting reports.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes jaxsprat LIKED above post

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I fished Sardis in the spring, our hotel was full of fishermen we talked to. Most of them said that they read the forum but never posted. I thought that was probably why there was so mant outa state tags at the boat ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with not giving out location info. I would only give out location info by PM escpecially if it was a honey hole. I wouldn't mind telling people locations that are really hit or miss. If I was a guide, I'd keep most info to myself. That's your bread n butter. I think depth, temp, and technique used should be enough info in a public post. If you're a good fisherman or just not a complete lazy arse, you should know where the fish would be located given the time of year and weather. It's not rocket science! A google or two would yield all the info you would need. When I ask for help, I just want to know two things really. Best technique to use and shallow or deep. I can figure out everything else and enjoy the challenge to do it. If you don't mind sharing water with lots of boats, give out your coordinates and prepare for the floatilla to be on your favorite spot!
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net
    Likes short grub, crappiepappa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This same issue has been brought up on every fishing forum I have been to and nothing seems to be done about it or there is not anything anyone can do but complain.
    I will keep posting info like catches and how deep but I will not give out specific spots I got to. If someone wants more info I will answer pm's but I expect something in return. Give and take I always tell them. If they have nothing to give then I give them the "community hole" info like bridges or standing timber. Everyone already knows you can catch fish around these objects. That way you protect your spot and help others out at the same time. You may not know if the fish are biting at the bridge but they don't need to know that. They will catch some and be happy.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes Thermocline Lures LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Posts should leave out the locations of the catch and only put in depth, fishing method, lure, and color. Pics of catch of course. I personally have not been able to fish much at all for the last three years due to starting up an old mill that was closed several years ago. Makes me feel good to know that there are some that are getting to fish and having some luck. I don't need to know locations and don't want to know locations. I have my own places that I like to fish just some general info is all I would want. No posts at all kinda kills one of the things I like about this site (enjoying seeing someone else having a good time crappie fishing). Like a ghost town around here since the posts have stopped and would hate to see the site shrivel up and die because of this. Surely there is a way to make this work without giving up the good things about the site.

You do not cease to fish because you get old, You get old because you cease to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I usually post very general info, if a member asks me more specifics, I will be more than happy to help out because heaven knows I will need help down the road. I communicate to some only by PM and we have a pretty good system of keeping up with which lakes are hot at the time. I think a yearly fee of $5 -$10 would not be bad at all. Heck, it may help offset some costs, discourage lurking, but if not, it keeps the lights on and helps better the site. I have learned more here than any magazine I've read
    Likes crappiepappa, jaxsprat LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to think the number of friends I would have never met if I had not been willing to at least give out some general information here. PMs are your friend and that is where specific information should be exchanged. A lot of the friends I have met here now text or PM me on a regular basis. I typically learn as much from them as they do from me.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Having entered my golden years and have health problems , do not fish much any more and when I do it is with a fly rod in ponds for bluegill. Therefore do not post---- but enjoy reading about other people catching fish and seeing catches, so I guess from a selfish point of view I hopeyou keep this great site up and running where I can dream of what I use to be able to do. Really enjoy your reports. Thanks

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast