Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help!

We use to live in southwest Missouri and posted some on the Missouri Board. We still go to Trumann Lake a couple of times a year (love that lake). Last week we bought a new for us (used) 17 ft G3. For years I fished with an OMC trolling motor and loved it. I am selling the boat that the OMC is on and going to update to a 24v minimum 70lb. thrust a Motor Guide or Minn Kota trolling motor. I do not want the wireless unit for several different reasons. I like the motor guide better (foot pedal is more user friendly to me). However, after reading many reviews this issue of bending a shaft on an mg kept coming up. I would really appreciate some input on this subject.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you fish stumpy or rocky shallow water chances are you will bend the motor guide shaft. The Minkota is almost indestructible and has a life time warranty. I have 3 of them and all have bent back under my boat with no effect on them. Have heard reports of some guys shattering them but I don't see how they managed that. I would try to find someone who has one so you can try it. Nothing worse than trying to fish with something your not comfortable fishing. You might go over to BassBoatcentral and check out some of their threads on trolling motors. Lots of info over there.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota for sure. I run a 36 volt 101 and I also have bent it under the boat more than once on Truman and it just bounces back in place and keeps on going. Buddy of mine is a Motorguide fan and has bent the shaft more times than I care to remember.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Minn kota!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I only run Minn Kota for the reasons mentioned above. I have one on a pontoon and it has survived some pretty heavy impacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my bud baithead managed to shatter the shaft on a minnkota and my motorguide/johnson treats me well. And no Jerky Log I will not sell it back to you. Go with what you like and have a great time fishing.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Minn Kota Maxum 70 lb would do you good. It is a variable speed foot/cable control. The variable speed is worth the extra money in my opinion compared to the 70lb Edge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been less than impressed with my MK Max 70# variable. There is a mag switch that you push a magnet down to with the button. The actual switch/sensor, is not anchored in there very well. I've had to work on my less than a year old motor several times. I'd go MG again if I was making that decision today. Piss poor design. I've also bent/broken a few blade pins, they are soft.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Motorguide shafts bend without much effort. Never bent shaft on Minnekota. It have broke the plastic housing on stern mount motor. Shaft is still good though. Lol