Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting Rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting Rod question

My wife recently bought me a ardent US Army Baitcaster for my birthday. I have never fished with a baitcaster and am wondering what casting rod would be best to use with this reel? Ardent US Army Baitcast Fishing Reel: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com That link is the exact one she bought me. Thanks for any help.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what kind of baits you plan on throwing with it. Lighter baits lighter action, heavier baits heavier action. I like a 6.6 medium action or medium light for Crankbaits, top waters and light spinner baits. 6.6 medhvy for heavy spinner baits, worm fishing and jigs. That reel should be good for any of them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and I plan on doing mostly crappie fishing with it and some bass. I assume the lighter action will be better?

Post Thanks / Like

I use casting reels on several rods for Crappie but I don't cast with them. I use them for flipping, strolling and vertical jigging, Almost all of mine have flipping switches on them but they are not absolutely necessary. Most of them are in the 10-11 foot range but I have a Pro Angler 8 foot and an old All Star 7 foot that work real well. For Crappie I seldom cast but when I do I use spinning reels. I have dedicated heavier rods for other species. I like the casting reels just because I am familiar with them from years of bass fishing. Watch a couple of videos of Todd Huckabee in action and you will see how I use mine.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Iken!