Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Speed Drifting Payed Off Again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed Drifting Payed Off Again

Last Sunday I posted in the Main forum that we caught & released 77 crappie & bluegill. Today we broke the 80 mark! We launched around 7:30 am and were off the water by 2 pm. A good 70% were crappie with the remaining being big bluegill.

Calm early on followed by stiffer breezes out of the south, with an impending front on our door step. Most productive lure today was tubes, followed closely by straight tails. All on ball head jigs in two sizes, 1/16 oz. & 1/8 oz..
    Here are a few pics representative of the sizes we were catching.

Two of mine:

Name:  Rich_1_zpsd9b88b9e.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  Rich_5_zps9a321f69.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  44.9 KB

And two of my partners:

Name:  Walt_2_zpsd4155a9d.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  Walt_5_zpsbb8e7ffd.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  49.6 KB

Yes, I know....that last one was a surprise to us too! And caught on 2# test line over 23' of open water no less. Great fun!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure would like to see some of those big bluegills next time. Nice catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Missed your main forum post. Teach me how to speed drift if you would. Sounds like fun! And obviously productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie ciller View Post
    Missed your main forum post. Teach me how to speed drift if you would. Sounds like fun! And obviously productive.
    This link is my original post this year on what I've named "speed drifting":

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...urricane-trip/

It's basically drifting under high wind (10 - 20 mph) conditions, over open water. The water we are fishing is not super clear, but rather tannic-brown stained, with visibility about 3' - 4'. The crappie & bluegill appear to be suspended about 10' down over 23' of water. The rate of drift is really curious. Bet our baits are less than 1' - 2' down! Yet, it has proven time & time again to be a very effective form of boat control. If you do a "search" in the box at the top of this site for speed drifting, you will be able to find all of my posts from this season, along with specifics about line, lures and rods we are using. Let me know if there is anything I can help you clarify. Good Luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Crappie ciller LIKED above post