Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depthfinder screen scrolling

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Depthfinder screen scrolling

Has anyone ever thought to invent a depthfider that will adjust the scroll speed automatically based on the boat speed? The bottom and structure look very different when the scroll speed or boat speed are fast versus slow.

For example, I was having a hard time finding a small shallow creek channel because I crossed over it too fast. So I slowed the boat down a lot and increased the scroll speed on the depthfinder. This time I had a hard time finding the edge of the creek because it appeared so gradually on the screen (due to fast scroll speed and slow boat speed).

So it might be interesting if you could have the scroll speed automatically increase as the boat speed went up, or vice versa.

Just a passing thought. Lots of those!!!
    Last edited by eddiebhome; 12-01-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I have very often thought the same thing!!! I used a depth finder years ago and it said it had automatic screen speed, that was just a bunch of crap! There HAS to be a sweet spot for speed for the boat and screen speed to show what is really down there!! Hopefully someone "In the know" will chime in.......:D
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont believe there's a depthfinder made to scroll 35 or 60 MPH. It takes time for the echo to bounce back off an object and at those speeds, forget it. If i'm looking for a ledge or break, i first check a lake map to find the general area, get there, slow down, and then search. But i do understand your point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddiebhome
    Has anyone ever thought to invent a depthfider that will adjust the scroll speed automatically based on the boat speed? The bottom and structure look very different when the scroll speed or boat speed are fast versus slow.

For example, I was having a hard time finding a small shallow creek channel because I crossed over it too fast. So I slowed the boat down a lot and increased the scroll speed on the depthfinder. This time I had a hard time finding the edge of the creek because it appeared so gradually on the screen (due to fast scroll speed and slow boat speed).

So it might be interesting if you could have the scroll speed automatically increase as the boat speed went up, or vice versa.

Just a passing thought. Lots of those!!!
    That's a good idea and probably wouldn't be hard to do with a combo unit since the GPS could measure the boat's speed. There may be a graph out there that has this feature but I've not heard of it. I'm sure there would be a maximum speed that the screen could scroll but if it worked from .5 to 20-mph it would be great.

However, without that feature, if you do your "surveying" at the same speed all the time and adjust your scroll speed so it allows the graph to show the bottom contours as accurately as possible you'll be able to picture in your mind how the bottom lays.

It also helps to focus your attention on the "Flashbar" or very right edge of your screen and understand that what you're seeing there is currently under your transducer (if you're moving at a slow speed). Everything else on the screen is where you previously were.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

What is a good setting on scroll speed just idling around looking for brushpiles and such? Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    What is a good setting on scroll speed just idling around looking for brushpiles and such? Thanks. CF
    That all depends on what graph you have. To adjust your scroll speed to match your boat speed put out a couple buoy markers on a slope and estimate the angle of that slope by noting the distance between the two buoys and the differance in depth at each buoy. Then move your boat - at the speed you normally fish or "survey" - from one buoy to the other and see how the slope looks on your graph. If it's appears steeper than it really is then slow your scroll speed down and visa versa until your graph displays the slope as accurately as possible.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that with the GPS/Sonar units of today, they could come up with the right formula to make the screen speed match the GPS known speed of the boat. I agree that it wouldn't work for running, but I'm talking about just trolling speeds and even trying to sit still at one location, so we don't have to sit down and change the screen speeds and "guess" what the bottom contours are. There may be some units on the market with this very feature on it, but I haven't heard of it, and I'd be very interested in it. I am a novice person when it comes to setting up my graph, so I hate to messing with screen speed trying to guess what is there, maybe if I just had more time to learn the unit it won't bother me as much, and I probably will pick it up sometime.

I just want to get my hook wet, more than I want to fart around with my graph!! Lazy... I reckon!! :D
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet