Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taste of pellet fed fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taste of pellet fed fish

Hey guys
    do the fish that eat pellets tast Dif than wild caught ?

Post Thanks / Like

To me, yes. They taste "mealy", much like the pen reared quail that are released on preserves. To some that grew up on such things this is probably the normal taste, and anything wild may have an odd taste. Heck, there may even be different types of pellets that can affect the taste. All I know about is what I sampled...and rejected.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of those pellets are made from grain....thus grain fed fish. I feed them to my catfish and the fish taste ok to me.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught & eaten "stock" Rainbow Trout from a city park lake ... they have a milder taste than the wild caught Rainbow Trout that I've caught. It could be that the stocked trout were smaller than the wild caught ones I've had ... but, could also be from their pen raised diet. The wild caught ones had a much "richer" taste. I actually prefer the stocked fish.

The lake is also stocked with Channel Catfish, but I've yet to catch any of those for comparison.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    The wild caught ones had a much "richer" taste. I actually prefer the stocked fish.
    I agree, CP.

Grain fed is much better to eat. Years ago, I used to shoot some pheasants, but the taste just isn't as good as a regular store bought chicken! Corn fed beef is much better than grass fed IMO.

But! ....... with most farm raised fish like we buy in grocery stores (overseas, Viet Nam, China, like talapia and sewer shrimp) they are fed sewage and kept in overcrowded polluted sewer ponds. Almost too toxic to eat, but very cheap to purchase? The "sewer shrimp" are half the price of our "gulf shrimp"

The trout, crappie, etc in a local fish farmed for stocking are excellent fish to eat! The US fish stockers do a excellent job of producing healthy, good eating fish! IMHO

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish can take on taste of feed and poor water quality can impart an off taste sometimes.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I think any thing we eat is impacted by what they have been feeding on. Just like wild ducks, if they have been feeding in the rice fields and such they taste one way and if feeding on fish and stuff in the water, not so good!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pgwilliamson View Post
    Hey guys
    do the fish that eat pellets tast Dif than wild caught ?
    Yes. They taste like chicken.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes keeferfish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The fish that are stocked here in my area of Vermont are fed liver pellets. I've seen people follow the stocking trucks and catch them and then on to the next spot same thing. I won't even fish for them for a couple of months till the taste of the pellets are out of them - and this year in my favorite pond I've only seen 8 trout caught - haven't even caught any this year. Mostly bass, sunnies and bullhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys: so some taste like chicken and some like liver.. Ain't that something to look forward to!
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast