Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question for war eagle owners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie question for war eagle owners

Just purchased a new to me 08 war eagle predator. I am getting ready to purchase rods/reels for pulling cranks and spider rigging. I had a couple of guys tell me with the front seats sitting further back, I will need at least 14 foot rods. Any truth to it?

Thx in advance from all advice from anyone with experience with predators. Have spent several weeks reading the archives but didn't locate anything specific to predators.

Jere

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jere .... I don't know anything about War Eagle boats, but most of the KY crank & jig pushers/pullers that I know ... are using 14' rods as their "short" rods, and rods up to 20'

You thinking about setting up like this ?? :

You might also want to post your question on the KY state forum. Not sure there's that many War Eagle owners, but there's plenty of spider riggers & crank draggers that can give you their opinions & advice.

You also have the option to purchase a pedestal post that's offset, and can be used to turn your seat closer or farther away from your rod holders. They look like this :

Springfield Kingpin or Swivl-eze .... 13" height & 4" offset (Springfield Kingpin @ ~ $38 ... Swivl-eze @ ~ $75 )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thx CrappiePappie. To a long time bass fisherman, I was just getting use to the idea of 14' being a long pole. Now I find out it is a short pole. 20' is longer than my first apartment.

I will post in the Kentucky Section and see what response I will get. Appreciate the input.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just call me "Pappy" .... there's several other members whose screen names are almost the same as mine, and I wouldn't want there to be any confusion as to whom the info or opinion came from.

We do actually have a member whose screen name is CrappiePappie ... as well as a "Crappypappy", a "Crappyhappy", and a "Crappiechappy".

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

No prob, Pappy. Hope to meet you if you are ever down on Kentucky lake. Holler and I will make a cobbler in my Dutch oven with coffee to wash it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the invite. Don't know as I'll be down that way anytime soon, but I appreciate the gesture.

You need to try & attend the Shindig they put on down there. I hear it's a hoot !! And we'll be having a one day event on Green River Lake, called the Fall Brawl, that's coming up in Oct. Keep your eyes peeled on the KY forum for the announcement & signup posts (probably be posting them around the first week of Sept).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Pappy. I believe the one on Kentucky Lake is the same weekend of my daughters wedding. I love fishing but I love breathing so I will be were I'm told and when that weekend. Maybe I can make yours when the date is set.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an "11" predator. I use 12'ers without a problem. At times I think about going to 14' rods but don't want to spend the money to change over. I guess if I were starting from scratch I'd probably buy 14' rods. They'd put me a little farther from the boat and that couldn't hurt.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Twelves work but 14's better. Don't have a Predator but have Wareagle 754VS stick steer that sets me back quite a bit. Went with 14 ft Southern Crappie rods. Great rods with sensitive tip and plenty of backbone. Might as well get them and get used to them first go round. Got two sets of 12's and went to the 14.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thx dwaw and cray. I will prob do the 14s. Cray I had another state southern crappie were the ones to get. I was eying b&m but now will have to weigh both. Appreciate these and all responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast