Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New lake in Buffalo Texas!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New lake in Buffalo Texas!

Hi yall! New to this
    had a 5 acre pond dug 6months ago stocking it with coppernose and redear water is now about 10' deep and has about 5' ft to go. Any ideas on putting blk crappie in the mix. Everyone thinks they will stunt.... I really love to eat those things . Some neighbor dropped some bass into there thinking they were helping... Help

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you could raise some crappie in a 5 acre lake. I have seen a friend's tank in here Texas with one acre and had crappie in the tank (pond). Just make sure to stock in some structure like trees or rocks and make sure they have a good supply of minnows or shad to eat. Minnows should suffice in the pond. Just make sure you get a good start of both bait fish and crappie to start you out. You can also talk to your local parks and wildlife officials I think and ask them where you could get the fish you need to start.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid we would go fishing at the local Country Club where they had a lake for golf hazards. The one we fished in probably was not over 2 acres total and it did have some big Cypress trees in one end and a couple right by the bridge going over it. I can tell you that little lake had some huge crappie in it. It was really hard to get a big one out when they were by the trees right at the middle of that bridge as they would always pull off when we tried to lift them up. Still big crappie can grow is a relative small lake. I do believe these were White Crappie, but I can't be positive about that as that was like 55 years ago, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Kickingback:
    thanks for the info, I was mostly concerned about the "addition" of bass that one of my "helpful" neighbors put in my pond. I was going to put them in next year when everything had a chance to spawn... Now I see baby bass along the shoreline

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much you can do at this point besides catch and remove but doubt you will eradicate them. If you don't control them they will decimate your crappie spawn.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was worried about... The size they are now the crappie could eat em if they could ambush em