Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First trip to Stockton this weekend, any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default First trip to Stockton this weekend, any advice?

Hey everyone! Bernie from KC here, heading to Stockton for the first time this weekend to go White Bass'in with a friend. But since the white's only bite close to sundown, and I'm a crappie guy, I'm going to take my little boat out and see if I can't locate some slabs while my buddy takes his kids tubing on his pontoon during the day. We are staying at Ruark Bluff West campground, which is near the H and Y bridges (I don't know the lake at all). I have the MDC cedar trees near there plugged in to my GPS, and will try to locate them, but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear what's good early morning or even mid-day. Dip random trees, bridge pillars, troll cranks? Use minnows or BG with a nibble? How deep are they? And I will be in my little 14 footer with a 9.9 so I will not be able to travel a great distance from where we are staying unless I go by road somewhere to another ramp. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

get the mdc app, fish the brush piles, 19 to 35 ft of water, early, real early is a better bite, also the mile long bridge, 215 highway bridge, the east pier is pretty good, Googer creek the mouth of the cove is pretty good also, several brush piles on the south side of the mouth ,,,, I caught a mess of good crappie up sons creek and Greezer Creek also, the timber in the back of the Greezer Creek cove is doing good, and the brush pile on the south side going into the cove is fished a lot, but there are still crappi there, The power line cove west of the H highway bridge has been very good to me, there are about 8 brush piles along the bank, the MDC has several in the area, so the app helps to find them, luck to ya/

Post Thanks / Like

Good info micheal. We also have been catching our fish in 25 to 35 foot of water on brush. 1.5" stingers and carrot style baits in natural colors and glow chart. have been the ticket for us. Catch the active fish and move on, dont spend much time if not getting bit regularly. Have only found a few piles that we caught alot of fish from. Good luck!

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The last 2 posts are the reason crappie.com is the best fishing website on the Internet. Way to go guys.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.
    Likes vic n, springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    get the mdc app, fish the brush piles, 19 to 35 ft of water, early, real early is a better bite, also the mile long bridge, 215 highway bridge, the east pier is pretty good, Googer creek the mouth of the cove is pretty good also, several brush piles on the south side of the mouth ,,,, I caught a mess of good crappie up sons creek and Greaser Creek also, the timber in the back of the Greaser Creek cove is doing good, and the brush pile on the south side going into the cove is fished a lot, but there are still crappi there, The power line cove west of the H highway bridge has been very good to me, there are about 8 brush piles along the bank, the MDC has several in the area, so the app helps to find them, luck to ya/
    one more spot, mutton creek cove, last boat dock out front(east side)

Post Thanks / Like

Seems lately the crappie have been in the tops of the piles. Have been jigging in the tops and lift up and let fall back into the pile. Good advice from beagle, maybe Jason or rick will chime in for some more info.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with jig-f-x – this is what makes this the best fishing website on the Internet. Thanks Beagle and mkeller for the awesome help. And Beagle, what can I say, I always like reading your posts, looking at your pics (crown always included – love it!), and now you’ve put me on the hot spots right close to where I’ll be camped. I hope to get in to them and post pics early next week. If you guys are close to Ruark Campground feel free to stop by the campsite will be in the last name of Jinkins, or look for my 14 foot jon with the white motor on the back with my crappie.com sticker on the back left. We may not have Crown but we’ll have plenty of Miller Lites to go around, maybe shoot the breeze or tell some lies (intentional redundant statement). Thanks again guys, you’re the best!