Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough Drifting Today!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Drifting Today!

We have postponed two previous days of crappie fishing due to the threat of severe thunderstorms and rain. Same forecast for today, but the primordial urges to wet a line surpassed our better judgement and we went anyway. On the water by 7:30 am and off by 2 pm. Turned out that the weather folks were wrong again! We encountered no rain or storms. Very warm day with temps in mid-80's. Breezes were way too light for "speed drifting" which is what we wanted to do. Here's what the day looked like:

Name:  Scene_zps3de1c7ab.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  30.9 KB

Started off with light zephyrs and by 9 am we were becalmed totally! We tried casting but got nothing but bluegill and dink crappie along the shorelines and drops. We went back to searching the main lake basin and found several schools of bait and fish:

Name:  23_Depth_zps84fdd8b0.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  33.2 KB

The breeze started up again around 10:30 and we started getting into more consistent action. We caught & released about 40 - 50 crappie; most were small, but a few were decent. We also caught a LOT of bluegill today. Sometimes 3 gills to each crappie while drifting. Very unusual for this area. Nice sizes to the gills, but crappie were the target species, so we were a bit disappointed. Here's a sampling of the better crappie we caught, starting off with mine:

Name:  Rich_1_zps6c20310a.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  Rich_2_zpsec951c4a.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  29.3 KB

And a couple of my partner Walt's fish:

Name:  Walt_2_zpsd4386868.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  Walt_1_zps73dbdcfc.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  59.8 KB

All in all not a bad day, but the time we lost during the calm period was not what we wanted. Going to try again when the weather forecast predicts more of a breezy day. Hopefully we can get another day with 10 - 20 mph wind. I feel very confident we can do much better under those conditions. Best producers today were straight tails and tubes. Jig weights were all 1/16 oz.. I did try a couple of Roadrunners in 1/16 oz. size. Got several hits but no real takes.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

that is a good day the weather man is never right in ontairo for fishing
    i have not been out for 2 weeks i was on a road trip to east coast of canada
    did not fish but theseafood was great i hope to post some pics later this week
    the spring was good in ontario i bit late but good
    great pics