Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: drophot,nightfishing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default drophot,nightfishing question

We've been doing well nightfishing,#4 wire hook with a 1/8 oz sinker about a foot below the hook,using minnows.What if i replace the sinker with 1/8 oz jig?shouldn't that work even better?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say it would work better but with a jig you get the best of both worlds if you tip the jig with a minnow! Bam!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

You might get a few snags, but you could try it.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Tough when fishing brush piles, but can be killer fishing points and ledges. Vertical jig, vertical casting, under a float, there's just so many ways to fish that setup. Balancing your jig size(s) to whatever fall rate or depth you're trying to achieve will give you more opportunities to put baits in the fish' face.

Post Thanks / Like

SLARUE- are you using an underwater light, and if so, can you please share your make/model? I've been researching and am not satisfied with the reviews and price point for most of the recommended units.

Please advise- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at the Hydoglow and Alumiglo lights and the 24" light is around $130 for either. I would appreciate anybody's advice or direction to a previous thread on night fishing if that would be easier.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I just spotted the new submersible light thread and will look there guys.

Regarding the drop shot mods mentioned above, I would say 2 hooks are always better than one unless snags are a concern. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Like he said, best of both when used together. Check out litewire jigs and if a snag does come into play it will not be a issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this quite often while bass fishing, can't see why it shouldn't work on crappie when they are laying low. For smallmouth I'll drag a tube/craw/creature bait on the bottom with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig while having the other hook 1-2 feet above it with a drop shot/finesse bait. I've noticed the strikes have been split about 70/30 between the upper and lower hooks, upper hook getting the most fish. There are several weedless wacky style jigs I have used on the bottom as well, a small stand up jig head is another option (love those with floating tail worms). I would think a 1.5" - 2" tube bounced off the bottom would work for crappie with a minnow on the drop shot hook....Hmmmm, I might try that myself this week.