Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Converting 12v to 110????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Converting 12v to 110????

I have a 12v bilge pump that I am using to circulate the water through a filter on the bait tank I built. I would like to put a timer on the system to turn the pump on several times a day for about an hours or so each time but cannot find a timer for a 12v system.

I have a 110v timer at the house...Is there a way to convert the 12v setup to a 110 system? Does anyone make a convertor or transformer to do this?

An invertor is out since I do not have a lighter plug available to plug it into.

I found a 110v bilge pump but it is $100 +

Someone posted that I could hook my battery charger straight to the pump & not use a battery. I tried this, but could not get it to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of a convertor that you are needing. But you could go to an aquarium shop and get a water pump for next to nothing and it would be 110V. You could also get you a air pump and hook up and an air stone to pump fresh air into the tank. Good luck!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

No, the battery charger will not work for this. The charger only charges and and does not supply power.
    You can get a power inverter or converter just about anywhere. Radio shack is the first place to look. This one from the shack is the one that I have, but mine has a cig lighter recepticle.
    To use this one, just strip your two wires back ( red and black ) and attach to the converter and plug the converter into the wall.
    You can use this for cb radios any boat device or intrument.
    Contact me if you need anything.
    Brian Bodin
    President and CEO
    Southeasttackle and outdoors

Here is the link.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Post Thanks / Like

There are timers available now at Lowes home center- Wal-mart may have them. They are real popular now for christmas lights. The settings are different for the better ones and just what you need. Just plug the converter that is linked above into the timer and there you go.
    Brian Bodin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racerkvn
    Not sure of a convertor that you are needing. But you could go to an aquarium shop and get a water pump for next to nothing and it would be 110V. You could also get you a air pump and hook up and an air stone to pump fresh air into the tank. Good luck!
    This is your best option. You can buy an 110vac aerator at Wal-mart, ( I bought one that has two air hose outputs and stick it in my 5 gallon bucket when I buy minnows the night before a fishing trip) just plug this into your 110vac timer and you should be good to go. Your other options are pretty involved.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pump designed for the little ponds that only cost me around $20. They are also at Lowes in the garden/patio section. Mine pumps 60 - 80 gallons per hour.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member